What is the Health and Safety Executive?
Our mission, quite simply, is to protect people and reduce risks in the workplace. The facts below will tell you what a vital mission that is.
- Every year 29.3 million days are lost to British industry as a result of accidents and ill health caused by work activities.
- Every year more than 27,594 people suffer a major injury caused by work activities.
- Every year more than 1.2 million people suffer from work related ill health.
- Every year 180 workers will lose his or her life.
The Nuclear Installations Inspectorate (NII)
NII was established in 1960. It is the enforcement arm of HSEs Nuclear Directorate (ND), which regulates nuclear safety and radioactive waste management on nuclear licensed sites and helps raise international standards. Through participation in various forums, ND also commissions research to improve standards and gives advice to Government ministers. HSE secures nuclear safety of nuclear sites through a system of Licences and Conditions. It inspects sites, assesses licensees' submissions and enforces compliance. It seeks to improve nuclear safety and radioactive waste management through guidance and influence. Since April 2007 the Office of the Civil Nuclear Security and Nuclear Operational safeguard function has moved from the Department of Trade and Industry into ND.
'To protect people and society from the hazards of the nuclear industry.'
ND presently consists of seven divisions which deal with:
- Division 1: Civil Nuclear Power Regulations;
- Division 2: Nuclear Chemical and Research Site Regulation (including UK Safeguards);
- Division 3: Defence Nuclear Facilities Regulation;
- Division 4: Nuclear Research, Strategy and Business Systems;
- Division 5: Office for Civil Nuclear Security;
- Division 6: Nuclear Reactor Generic Design Assessment;
- Division 7: Nuclear Policy and International Relations.
Found 0 jobs with HSE
No jobs found
This employer is not currently advertising. Why not try our job search or use the jobs by email facility above.