This job is no longer available
Biomedical Engineering Scientist in Philips Research China
Work Location: Shanghai China
Philips Research Asia – Shanghai (PRA-S) has been established in Shanghai since the year 2000. Our focus is on breakthrough innovation, aimed at generating new business for Philips, and to support existing business. Working with industrial and academic partners, we speed up innovation and help create technologies that really matter and get adopted. We call this Open Innovation. We are an integral part of Philips’ international research program and have extensive collaborations with the Philips labs across the world. Our vision focuses on simplicity, making technology an integral – but invisible – part of everyday life. PRA-S currently has over 100 research scientists working in the fields of Healthcare, Lifestyle Applications, and Lighting.
As PRA-S continues to grow, we are constantly looking for dynamic, highly energized people to join and grow with PRA-S.
This Biomedical Engineering Scientist is to generate technologies that enable our healthcare business to expand/improve its portfolio of products aimed at screening or diagnosis of chronic disease. This people needs to:
· Play an active role in the project team by contributing creative ideas aimed at developing new technologies that will be used in a biomedical engineering system. The system consists of the hardware for acquiring biomedical signal from human beings and the signal processing software and is aimed to obtain a useful measurement for doctors to screening or diagnosis chronic diseases.
· Design, implement, test and improve both biomedical hardware and software platforms in lab settings that demonstrate the performance of the new technology.
· Prepare and execute clinical tests for the new technology in the collaborated hospital.
· Actively collaborate with colleagues in Philips that are working in related fields and assist your colleagues, both in China and abroad, by sharing/discussing your insights.
· Design, implementation, testing and improvement of both biomedical hardware and software, instead of only perform algorithm research and validate the algorithm
· Be able to quickly ramp up in related medical field and gain corresponding clinical domain knowledge, use the gained knowledge in system development
· Prove the success of the measurement system through building convincing prototypes, by yourself or in collaboration with other team members
We are constantly looking for highly qualified Biomedical Engineering scientists (MSc, PhD, PhD+PostDoc or industrial R&D experience). You are a team worker and customer/goal oriented. You also have the mindset of an entrepreneur. You have a flexible and open mind and you are willing to enter new areas of industrial research.
Other important aspects are:
· a genuine technical curiosity
· well-above-average results from a (technical) university
· outstanding creativity and self-powered work attitude
· above 2 years of experience in working with biomedical system development. Preferably experience in developing professional medical equipment, or where you worked on HW-SW integration.
· practical experience in designing hardware platform
· practical experience in developing signal processing algorithms
· excellent software development skills using practical languages such as Matlab etc
· architectural thinking and system design ability
· a quick learner and be able to apply the newly gained medical domain knowledge in your work, in particular, in areas that not touched upon before, such as medical/clinical knowledge
· prefer to have experience in designing and implementing biomedical devices, such as ECG and BP
· excellent communication skills; English language skills
Do you fit this profile? Then we might have the job for you! Our high-tech campus, new clean-rooms, advanced infrastructure and most of all our teams of world-class R&D professionals are available for you to make your and our dreams come true.
Your knowledge and know-how will be decisive in determining where you might fit into Philips China. In other words: it is your talent that will guide us. So make sure that besides the cover letter you give us at least:
• a short description of your Master's work or PhD thesis
• a list of your publications
• a specification of the areas of research you are most interested in
• details on how you can be contacted
Philips Career Center job number 002590, please apply directly to job at philips.com/career AND/OR submit your resume along with the cover letter to by clicking APPLY NOW below identifying the job portal you see our job advertisement.