This job is no longer available
DIRECTOR OF AUTISM GENOMICS
New York NY, Los Angeles CA or Princeton NJ
Autism Speaks is the world's leading autism science and advocacy organization dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism.
We currently have a position available as Director of Autism Genomics, reporting to the Chief Science Officer. This position may be located in New York City, Princeton, NJ or Los Angeles, CA. The ‘Director' will lead the development of the largest whole genome sequence research resource project in autism to date; oversee and leverage Autism Speaks' scientific informatics resources and capability to accelerate scientific discovery of the causes and treatments for autism; and identify and develop tools and processes that will facilitate basic and translational autism research in the US and internationally.
Won't you please join us and help create a brighter future for autistic children and their families.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Develop and manage a portfolio of Autism Speaks-funded, investigator-initiated research programs, targeted research projects and initiatives that support the strategic goals for genomics research
• Implement strategies that ensure Autism Speaks' biorepository resources are optimally positioned to facilitate data analysis and scientific discovery
• Provide genomic and informatics expertise to the Autism Genetic Resource Exchange (AGRE) and the Autism Genome Projects (two signature programs that support genetic discoveries)
• Serve as genetics lead in genetic research collaborations, including the Autism Genome 10K project with Beijing Genomics Institute, the largest whole genome sequencing initiative in autism to date
• Advise and assist CSO with developing and implementing state-of-the-science genetic and bioinformatic research-related strategy, programs and initiatives
• Work with the CIO to implement best practices in genetic data management
• Work collaboratively with the Director of Research Informatics Information Systems to develop US and international computing and informatics initiatives, such as the Autism Bioinformatics Initiative
• Assist the Vice President of Scientific Review and Operations in reviewing grants related to genetic and informatics autism research
• Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to conceptualize and implement innovative strategies that maximize the impact of Autism Speaks investments in genetic resources to further the field of autism research globally
• Assist the Chief Science Officer and the Vice President of Leadership Giving with funding opportunities in public and private sectors
The qualified candidate will possess a Ph.D. in genetics, bioinformatics, or related field, and post-graduate experience in a genetics or bioinformatics research setting.
Minimum 5+ years of demonstrated experience leading and managing projects with diverse types of data, with emphasis on expertise with large genomic datasets. Must have a track record of relevant peer-reviewed publications and participation in professional societies and presentations at scientific meetings/conferences. Experience in the development, maintenance and management of customized large-scale data management systems is a requirement. Must have strategic planning and leadership skills in bioinformatics and familiarity with standard analytical approaches applied to DNA/RNA sequencing data in human disease.
Autism Speaks offers a competitive benefits and compensation package. The selected candidate must successfully complete and pass a comprehensive background check, including credit, civil/criminal, education, salary verification, motor vehicle, professional references, including drugscreen.
Qualified candidates please email resumes with salary requirements to by clicking APPLY NOW.
Only those applicants who meet the hiring criteria will be considered and contacted by Human Resources. Autism Speaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.