This job is no longer available
Quest Diagnostics is the nations leading provider of diagnostic testing information and services that patients and physicians need to make better healthcare decisions.
Quest Diagnostics, Nichols Institute, Valencia is one of the largest esoteric medical laboratories in the United States. Located in Valencia, California in a new custom designed, 200,000 square foot facility.
Within the Valencia facility are a wide variety of clinical laboratories, conducting a wide variety of assays. Among the specialty areas are Molecular Biology, Microbiology, and Special Chemistry including Mass Spectrometry. The site also hosts a Clinical Trials Department and a Research & Development Group.
Due to our growth we are looking to fill several Clinical Lab Scientist positions within our Valencia facility. Basic Purpose:
Reports to Operations Supervisor, Laboratory Supervisor, or Laboratory Manager. Under limited supervision, incumbent(s) will use their training in medical technology to perform clinical lab testing and/or other scientific examinations. Required to work independent of immediate supervision and assume the initiative for prompt and accurate performance of tests with appropriate documentation and proper notification of abnormal results. This is considered an entry level position and is the first of a two level job family.
Duties and Responsibilities: 1. Independently performs consistently moderate and somewhat complex clinical tests. Exhibits skills and proficiency in applying technical principles and techniques of medical technology.
2. Prepares and tests new reagents or controls and evaluates their usefulness based on standard criteria.
3. Performs test calibrations and runs Quality Control material at appropriate intervals.
4. Determines the acceptability of specimens for testing according to established criteria in testing procedures.
5. Determines calculated results utilizing testing data by means of manual or computerized procedures.
6. Accurately enters results of testing. Checks the computer review reports to monitor accurate reporting of laboratory results.
7. Evaluates the acceptability of routine analysis prior to releasing patient reports. Takes appropriate action in response to critical values or unusual or unexpected results, and documents action taken.
8. Responsible for performing preventative maintenance and/or calibration of laboratory equipment and properly documenting actions taken based on approved schedule.
9. Evaluates the results of instrument performance checks. Performs linearity, accuracy and precision checks as required.
10. Performs Q/C and calibrations with the appropriate frequency and evaluates results, to decide whether tests should be reported. Reports any shifts or trends to a Clinical Laboratory Scientist II or Supervisor.
11. Accurately performs and records proficiency testing.
12. Recognizes problems, and initiates troubleshooting steps to evaluate testing failures and other problems, if necessary. Notifies the supervisor, and contacts manufacturer for additional assistance or field service support, if required.
13. Monitors and maintains a consistent supply of reagents and consumables.
14. Promptly and courteously answers the phone and assists clients and other departments.
15. Maintains a safe and neat work area.
16. Maintains a cooperative working relationship with co-workers.
17. Provides on-going technical guidance to laboratory assistants, laboratory associates, and other Clinical Laboratory Scientists. Instructs and/or trains new employees in the proper performance of routine procedures.
18. Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education activities.
19. Follows established company and department policies and procedures. Follows the guidelines for safety, environmental, and infection control.
20. Demonstrates a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
21. May be required to perform Clinical Laboratory Scientist II level duties for a limited period of time, in order to establish competency prior to promotion as well as fill in for departmental absences.
22. Provides direct and constant supervision to unlicensed staff as necessary.
Bachelors of Science degree in medical technology or biological sciences from an accredited college or university.
Zero to three year's direct experience in a laboratory setting.
1. A current California state Clinical Laboratory Scientist license to perform laboratory testing.
2. Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills such as word processing, statistical analysis, and laboratory information system.
CLS I, II and III - Dependant upon experience.
Along with competitive salaries and a variety of options for work scheduling, regular full time employees who work at least 30 hours per week are eligible for Health and Dental plans, a vision plan and a 401(k) retirement plan - all of which include company contributions. There are also disability, flexible savings and tuition reimbursement plans available. The company sponsors, and subsidizes, almost two dozen van pools which transport employees from all over the greater Los Angeles area.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
To apply for this position, please click APPLY NOW below.