This job is no longer available
Gevo, Inc. is an exciting, team-oriented company that is pioneering the advanced green energy industry. We are looking for a Process Chemist – Chemical Technology, based in Englewood, Colorado. The Process Chemist will lead the R&D effort to acquire detailed process knowledge from Gevo’s isobutanol to hydrocarbon pilot plant and work with Gevo’s engineering team to integrate these learning’s into a commercial process engineering package.
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. Chemistry with exposure to Chemical Engineering is preferred, but Chemical Engineering with extensive laboratory chemistry experience is a good fit, as well;
• 5 or more years experience (excluding graduate and post-graduate academic research) working with both laboratory and pilot scale heterogeneous reactor systems in a commercial setting:
• More than 5 years of experience in an industrial laboratory working on technologies for the production of fuels or petrochemicals;
• Experience using ASPEN Plus software;
• Experience taking a process from lab to demonstration or commercial scale:
• Experience with olefin processing technologies;
• Experience preparing, modifying, and analyzing the properties of heterogeneous catalysts;
• 1-2 years of experience either leading teams involved with technical projects or as the lead project manager for a technical project (people management preferred). Ideally, the technical project is a pilot plant in a fuel or petrochemical refinery setting;
• Requires at least 50% travel;
• Must demonstrate ability to work independently;
• Demonstrated ability to work under strict timelines;
• Strong organizational skills, with ability to execute multiple parallel projects;
• Attention to detail with excellent record-keeping skills;
• Preparing and delivering information in a concise, accurate and professionally written format;
• Working in a team oriented environment;
• Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts and techniques;
• Ability to interpret experimental results to assess success of experiments. Preparing and delivering information in a concise, accurate and professionally written format;
• Preparing and presenting information in an informal setting;
• Working in a team oriented environment;
• Analyzing and developing solutions to problems;
• Developing and maintaining positive customer rapport;
• Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office products:
• Self starter, able to identify errors or areas for improvement, provide recommendations and follow through to completion;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Regularly working on site at Gevo’s isobutanol to hydrocarbon pilot plant in Silsbee, TX, to ensure that routine process and analytical data is collected, compiled, and analyzed.• Leading or co-leading Gevo’s pilot plant efforts to ensure that operating and analytical procedures are in place and followed, data is collected and analyzed, decisions are made and implemented in a timely manner, and reports and conclusions are completed and communicated on time to team and sponsors at Gevo.
• Setting up, maintaining, and operating laboratory scale flow reactor systems in Gevo’s laboratories in Englewood, CO, to perform small scale experiments to test hypotheses and determine processing parameters.
• Assisting with analytical methods and interpreting resulting data to support research and development activities (e.g. gas chromatography) – includes transitioning analytical methods to pilot plant laboratory and training personnel as needed.
• Using data acquired from pilot and laboratory systems to make decisions or advocate positions about how to operate and/or change pilot plant processes.
• Extensively reviewing and analyzing literature to identify optimal routes to desired chemical products and, if necessary, modifying these routes to meet immediate needs.
• Keeping detailed and up to date notebooks and communicating results in clearly composed reports and presentations.
• Working in a multi-disciplinary team to review data and develop engineering package to scale-up processes.
Gevo offers a competitive compensation package. If interested, please submit a letter of interest, resume and salary requirements via email by clicking APPLY NOW below or fax to 303-379-6630.