This job is no longer available
Diamond Light Source
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
PDRA BL I06
Full time, 3 year Fixed Term
We are seeking candidates with experience in polarised soft x-ray techniques such as x-ray magnetic circular dichroism, resonant soft x-ray diffraction or photoemission spectroscopy. Candidates with experience in time-resolved research using soft x-ray or laser based spectroscopies are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties to include:
• Day-to-day responsibility for own in-house research programme including the analysis and publication of the results;
• testing and commissioning of beamline end-station equipment;
• support of user research projects from a diverse scientific background;
• presentation of the in-house research, beamline developments and scientific papers at internal and external meetings and conferences;
• assist with the general commissioning of beamline hardware and the development of data acquisition, visualisation and analysis software;
• assist in maintaining and running the beamline peripheral laboratories.
Essential Qualifications and Experience include:
• Appropriate first degree/ PHD;
• Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
• Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
• Self motivation;
• Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
• Experience or knowledge of polarised soft x-ray techniques.
Diamond is committed to equality of opportunities for all, and offer a competitive salary (dependent upon skills, qualifications and experience), comprehensive benefits, an index-linked pension scheme and flexible working hours.
For an application form and further information including work permit and visa requirements for non-EU nationals please visit our website at www.diamond.ac.uk , telephone our recruitment line on 01235 778218 or write to us at the address below, quoting the appropriate reference number.
For further information about this role please visit: www.diamond.ac.uk
Diamond Light Source Ltd, Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire OX11 0DE