This job is no longer available
Vestergaard Frandsen has been a family-owned company for more than 50 years, and operates under a unique “humanitarian entrepreneurship” business model that is dedicated to creating and deploying technologies that improve the lives of people in developing countries.
We are driven by an abiding desire to lessen the burden on those populations most vulnerable and we have aligned our business objectives with the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals. Vestergaard Frandsen is not content with “business as usual,” and has been at the forefront of innovation of disease prevention in the developing context.
Backed by research in the lab and in the field, our disease-control products include cutting-edge PermaNet® 3.0 bed nets, ZeroVector® Durable Lining, and ZeroFly plastic sheeting; award-winning and widely used LifeStraw® and LifeStraw® Family water filters; and innovative frameworks to reach those in need, like our LifeStraw Carbon for Water campaign, and the integrated CarePack®. Thanks to our robust product portfolio, more than half a billion people in the developing world will enjoy a brighter and healthier future.
Our headquarters are in Switzerland, with regional offices in Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, the UAE, the US, and Vietnam ensuring a global reach.
In support of United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals 1 and 7, Vestergaard Frandsen is developing a portfolio of food security solutions. In addition to the public health areas we have worked in for years, food security represents our renewed and expanded focus on supporting the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, for our food security unit we are seeking to recruit:
Field Trials Manager
We are looking to fulfill the position of Field Trials Manager to be based in Ghana or Nairobi. Reporting to the Product Development Manager of Food Security, you will be required to engage with high-level in-country stakeholders and scientists to establish or enhance research collaborations for the testing of Food Security tools. You will also assist in enhancing technical expertise of sales staff, with a focus on Africa offices.
As the Field Trials Manager, your responsibilities will include-
1. In-country stakeholder engagement: meet with high-level stakeholders such as government ministries, Agriculture/ Food Security program managers and others as technical support to sales for introducing new products and Food Security concepts and to identify trial requirements and research partners. End result: set-up product trial to generate data required to address product queries of Agriculture & Food Security policy decision-makers.
2. In-country scientist engagement: Visit scientists to discuss pre-reviewed protocols for product studies, establish contracts for studies, source equipment, facilitate necessary training / technical support, follow-up with scientists on progress of study (by email and in-country visits where necessary). End result: Report and/or Publication of field study on product within agreed timelines.
3. Staff Training: training of sales staff where required, assistance in preparation of training material with Technical managers where needed. End result: Sales staff in regional offices have improved knowledge and ability to speak about Public Health products and concepts.
4. Technical support: review and summarize key publications and provide technical support for sales staff, participate in local stakeholder meetings and conferences, present research results at meetings and conferences (where required). End result: Data from field trials on food security products is presented in international forums on a more frequent basis.
• High level organization and management skills
• Data analysis experience including familiarity with statistical packages
• Oral presentation skills
• Interpersonal/ communication skills especially in cross-cultural settings and at different technical levels
• Writing skills and attention to detail
• Ability to take initiative and work independently
• BSc in Veterinary/ Epidemiology/ LifeScience subject required
• Masters in Entomology/ Crop Science/ Animal Health required
• Doctorate in Entomology/ Crop Science/ Animal Health desirable
• Languages: fluency in English essential and French desirable
• Research experience including setting up and managing field trials in developing country setting is essential (minimum 3 years’ experience required)
• Experience in high-level stakeholder engagement in different settings is highly advantageous (minimum 3 years’ experience)
• Experience working in francophone Africa is highly advantageous (minimum 1 year)
If you possess the above qualifications and the drive to meet the challenges, please send your cover letter to email@example.com enclosing your CV, a day-time telephone contact, names and contacts of three references. We will only respond to electronic applications and to shortlisted applicants.