This job is no longer available
Do you possess an outstanding research record in the area of food microbiology?
Are you seeking a strategic senior research leadership role?
Join our team at CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
We seek a senior research microbiologist to lead and provide strategic direction to research projects investigating pathogenic and spoilage bacteria in food production and processing, specifically focusing in the area of dairy manufacturing. Your research activities will be closely integrated with other microbiologists, including those undertaking research into the survival and persistence of microorganisms in food systems along with genomic and bioinformatic investigations of key microorganisms involved in food hygiene, spoilage and foodborne illness.
You will manage and coach high performing research teams to influence and utilise the outputs of research projects to understand and control microbial survival and persistence in food systems. As part of the Food Safety and Stability research Stream of CSIRO you will be based in Werribee but routinely interact with other researchers at additional sites. The Food Safety and Stability Research Stream is unique in Australia, forming the largest integrated group of food microbiologists active in strategic research, providing solutions for industry and policy advice for government.
Specifically you will:
* Provide leadership in dairy microbiology for the Food Safety and Stability Research Stream
* Lead and develop innovative research projects that link understanding of the ability of microorganisms to survive and persist in food production and processes, within the broad objective of improving food quality, productivity and safety
* Attract external funding, and develop and maintain partnerships with the food industry and other research groups within, and external to, CSIRO across a range of disciplines
* Publish appropriate work in peer-reviewed scientific journals and presenting at conferences.
* Manage, motivate and inspire high performing teams
Location: Werribee, VIC
Salary: $86K - $116K* plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Ref No: VIC12/01489
* Appointment to the higher salary level will be dependent on relevant skills and experience.
To be successful you will have:
* A PhD in microbiology or closely related discipline
* A proven track record in researching bacteria that are of importance in food production and processing
* A deep understanding of the science and technologies used in dairy production and processes
* Experience in working closely with the food industry, preferably the dairy industry
* A national and international reputation in your area of research expertise
* As a people manager you will have proven coaching attributes of motivating and inspiring yourteam.
About CSIRO: Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities.