This job is no longer available
The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for a Beam Diagnostics Engineer
The ESS Beam Diagnostics group is responsible for the development, design, construction, installation and operation of beam diagnostics, including beam position monitors, beam current monitors, beam loss monitors, as well as transverse and longitudinal profile devices. The group currently has six members, and is expanding rapidly.
Description of main responsibilities
The successful candidate will work the development of one or more beam diagnostics systems for the ESS linac. Physical quantities that need to be measured include beam size and position, bunch length and time of arrival, as well as intensity, beam loss and halo. Depending on the specific project, significant travel may be required.
- MSc or equivalent in physics, electronic engineering or in a related field
- Good understanding of particle accelerators
- Significant experience in beam diagnostics
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a group
- Experience in the areas of electromagnetism, detector design, motion controls, analogue/digital electronics and signal processing are desirable
- Operational experience in a control room is preferred
- Experience of working in an international environment is essential
- Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite; knowledge of other European languages would be an advantage What ESS can offer
- Opportunity to work in an international environment
- A unique opportunity to be involved from an early stage, in the development of a world-leading center for materials research
- Possibility for personal development
- Relocation assistance, including family support and Swedish language course, is offered
Duration & Location
Two years, with the possibility of an open ended contract for a senior more experienced candidate. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and covering letter in English by clicking on the 'Apply Now' button which will take you to our website, and following the instructions. It is a requirement of our application process that the names and contact details (e-mail address and phone number) of three references be provided. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website - click the 'Apply Now' button to be taken there.
The position will remain open until filled, with the first deadline for applications on the 19th of August 2012.
For further information regarding the position, please contact Senior Beam Instrumentation Physicist, Andreas Jansson, firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Charlotta Olsson, email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application.