This job is no longer available
PACIFIC CENTRE FOR ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
The University of the South Pacific is one of two regional universities in the world and is the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. With over 21,000 students around the Pacific region, we are supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries;
Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
The Pacific Centre for Environment and Sustainable Development [PACE-SD], a University-wide interdisciplinary research and development centre that is externally funded and sits outside the normal faculty administrative structures. PACE-SD currently employs around 7 academic and 23 administrative staff and undertakes research and development projects for a range of major international donors, including training of postgraduate students at PhD and Master’s levels.
Reporting directly to the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research & International) and working closely with Faculty Deans and other USP staff, the Director manages all aspects of the academic leadership of the Centre with the support of an Administrative Assistant and Finance Officer.
Maxumise is assisting our client, the USP in recruiting a Professor and Director for PACE-SD.
The Opportunity - Professor and Director of PACE-SD
The University is seeking a Director of professorial rank to join the Centre to promote collaborative approaches to climate studies, environmental studies and education, research, consultancy, and capacity building with special emphasis on climate change impacts, adaptation, and mitigation in the Pacific Island Countries.
The Director will be expected to:
* Provide leadership in the promotion and implementation of the vision, mission and the strategic objectives of the Centre and the University
* Manage the centre and its activities including personnel management
* Update and implement the PACE strategic plan and operational annual plans Interact closely with faculty deans to promote University-wide uptake and involvement of University staff and students in PACE-SD activities
* Be actively involved in academic, applied policy and community-related pursuits in the areas identified above
* Develop appropriate postgraduate programmes for both formal and non-formal delivery
* Assist the University in effective collaboration with national, regional and international agencies, governments and NGOs on matters relating to climate change and environment and sustainable development
* Play a key role in project development to attract external funding for the Centre
* Excel in project implementation and supervision of postgraduate students
Professor and Director of PACE-SD.
* Facilitate greater collaboration and joint activities with different sections of the University working in the thematic areas of the Centre
* Discharge any other duties that may be prescribed for the smooth running of the Centre
Candidates with innovative ideas and skills in `making it happen` are most likely to succeed in this position.
The Person we seek will have:
* A PhD in the broad areas of climate/environmental science and/or environmental management
* Extensive experience in research, publication and consultancy
* A good track record in project and personnel management
* Excellent knowledge of global environmental change issues and appreciation of the context of small island developing countries
* Sound people skills and the ability to develop and lead teams
* Demonstrated experience in project proposal writing, project implementation, preparation of synthesis reports and
* Proven record of successful liaison with donor agencies
* Ability to undertake extensive travel for international and regional networking
* Significant work experience in the Pacific and experience in tertiary teaching would be advantageous.
This is a broad-banded full-time renewable appointment for 3 years. The remuneration package will be in the USP salary range for Professors: F$115,248 to F$124,592 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity).
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
An attractive inducement allowance may be paid to attract an exceptionally qualified candidate.
How To Apply
Contact: Laisa +679 3303137
How to Apply: Email applications, with the “Professor PACE- SD” in the subject to USPjobsNS@pacificrecruit.com. All applicants must supply: Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae.
Closing Date: 10th August, 2012.