This job is no longer available
We have no less than three separate companies who are looking for a talented Optical Physicists with experience of developing complex optical or optoelectronic technology ideally for Medical Technology or other complex, high reliability technologies.
These are exciting opportunities to work on innovative, 'disruptive' technology projects which are technically challenging and intellectually rewarding - boredom will never be an issue and you will gain additional skills and experience in a wide array of technologies.
You will need a background in novel technology development in a start-up or industrial R&D environment. Recent PhD graduates will be considered if they show specific studies in applied optics.
Location - Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire
Commutable from - Stevenage, Luton, Ely, Huntingdon, Bishops Stortford, St Neots, Harlow
Salary - up to £50K + Excellent benefits package including bonus/profit share and pension.
Relocation assistance available.
The Optical Physicist will provide technical solutions for break-out products and manufacturing processes across a wide range of applications -industrial/scientific processes, bio-medical devices, high-tech consumer products and many more.
The Optical Physicist will be:
Operating on assignments for clients with a particular focus on translating science and technology into real-world products and processes
- Creating innovative scientific/technical solutions to complex and challenging technical problems - hands on practical problem-solving
- Interface between the client scientists and engineering teams working on technology developments
- Practical application of optical physics principles to support both product and process development:
- Work with clients to identify requirements and specifications
- Investigate emerging and disruptive technologies for commercial exploitation
- Manage laboratory feasibility studies
- Develop test and characterisation techniques
- Hands on practical problem solving
- Skilled in scientific rigour testing and reporting scientific investigations
- Primary research through literature searches, telephone interviews
- Preparing written documents and presentations: compile, interpret and present analysis of data
To be considered for the role of Optical Physicist you will need:
- Excellent degree (2.1/1st or PhD) in a Natural Science such as Physics, Optics or similar from a leading university.
Essential experience required:
- Experience, preferably to PhD level, of the development of optical techniques of relevance to diagnostic or life science applications
- Experience in using optical design tools (Zemax etc)
- Experience of C or MATLAB
- Algorithm development for sensing applications
- You will need to be personable and be interested in a role where you will be interacting with the client.
- You need excellent communication skills including clear and concise written/spoken English.
- Experience of other, non-optical, sensing technologies
- Ideally commercial/industrial experience in R&D, start ups etc
Key words - Optics, Optical, Optic, Opto-electronics. Optoelectronics, Sensor, sensing.