This job is no longer available
Overview: The Laboratory Manager is accountable for managing a team of Analytical Project Coordinators and their teams to coordinate execute and complete assigned projects, meeting client and regulatory expectations for quality and timelines of data and reports. The Laboratory Manager will lead day-to-day operations including technical progress, workflow to achieve desired results. Responsible for providing leadership for the group by working with supervisor and other company management to establish, implement, and execute, operational processes (SOPs, methods, protocols) plans and policies. Plans, coordinates, and oversees laboratory activities to ensure workflow consistency, timeliness and compliance with all applicable regulations. Coordinates laboratory activities to meet client-based project requirements to meet assigned goals as provided by the Laboratory Director. Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the laboratory operations workflow established for department personnel engaged in performing client-based work.
- Devises, implements, and maintains operational systems to support department personnel engaged in performing client-based work to maintain integrity of data produced from department.
- Devises, implements, and maintains quality control programs to ensure reliability of testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment, and compliance with federal regulations; prepares and maintains applicable records, reports, and presentations.
- Participates in the development of new analytical laboratory procedures and techniques.
- Monitors Quality Control, Safety and Inspection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- May act as first point of contact for the department concerning internal, client, and governmental audits and inspections; evaluates feedback, and prepares/approves as assigned by Laboratory Director, responses for any audit observations.
- Coordinates cross-functional, intra-departmental, and inter-department work assignments and instrument scheduling; resolves scheduling conflicts.
- Oversees laboratory supply and equipment ordering and inventory of same for performance of department employees; maintains ordering systems within budgetary guidelines.
- May coordinate operations activity for chromatography data systems and LIMS.
- Prepares, reviews, and/or implements Standard Operating Procedures and department and company policies and procedures.
- Provides advanced diagnosis, problem-solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/ consultation, and verification of procedures and techniques.
- Stays abreast of US and international regulations, and industry practices; stays abreast of and executes latest technical and management developments including new laboratory procedures.
- Develops methods of laboratory experimentation, applying knowledge of scientific theory and computer capability.
- Administers laboratory and company performance metrics and implements continuous/continual improvement; prepares reports reflecting workflow, procedures utilized and results, and adverse trends and appropriate recommendations and conclusions.
- Trains staff on laboratory procedures, application of new equipment, and company policies and procedures; acts as mentor to staff members.
- May be assigned Director roles and responsibilities on an interim basis when directed.
- Performs other related duties as required and directed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. in Chemistry and/or related discipline (e.g. Biochemistry, Pharmaceutics) and ten (10) years scientific experience working in an analytical laboratory with at least five (5) years supervising or managing the operations of an analytical laboratory.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills, or Training:
- Advanced supervisory or managerial skills of day-to-day operations of various analytical chemistry laboratories: Quality Control, analytical development and validation, Quality Assurance, training, and validation.