This job is no longer available
Toxicologists – Reporters and Analytical Staff
Based in Culham, Oxfordshire and Teddington, Surrey
Salary commensurate with experience
LGC Forensics has a number of exciting opportunities for junior and senior scientists within our Toxicology Unit at LGC Forensics; including Court Reporting Officers and Analytical Chemists.
The Toxicology Team at LGC Forensics is the largest provider of Forensic Toxicology Services to UK law enforcement and government agencies. We are responsible for the analysis of body fluids and other biological material for alcohol, drugs and poisons in a wide range of criminal and coroners cases.
As a reporter you will be responsible for the interpretation of analytical results, preparation of statements and presentation of evidence in court. The important role of analytical chemist will provide full support in an experienced friendly team using a comprehensive range of analytical techniques.
Reporters are responsible for:
- Devising cost-effective case strategies and ordering appropriate tests.
- Interpreting analytical results and writing statements.
- Delivering work to the requirements of the customer and our contracts.
- Provision of advice and presentation of findings to the courts.
- Managing case loads in a timely manner and in accordance with the company’s quality systems.
- Assisting with continual process improvement initiatives.
Candidate specification to include some or all of the following:
- Experience of medico-legal work with body fluids and preparation of Section 9 statements relating to toxicology advantageous.
- Previous experience of analytical techniques such as GC/MS and LCMSMS would be an advantage.
- Attention to detail, well organised, innovative.
- Good general business awareness and solid understanding of the various contractual requirements of customers served by teams/sites.
- Able to offer professional advice to customers.
- Previous experience of working in a busy laboratory environment.
- Science degree, preferably in Analytical Chemistry or closely related discipline.
Analytical staff are responsible for:
- Analysis of casework samples using immunoassay techniques, GC, LC, MS and other techniques
- Ensuring analytical data conforms to quality standards
- Delivering results by the contracted TRT.
- Supervision of routine maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
- Assisting with supervision and training as appropriate.
- Assisting in the generation of Standard Operating Procedures relevant to the toxicology department, ensuring that current versions are available.
- Assisting with the identification of alternative analytical methods and/or equipment to improve efficiency and maximise throughput of testing within the laboratory.
Candidate experience to include some or all of the following:
- In depth knowledge of sample preparation techniques including liquid/liquid and solid phase extraction.
- In depth knowledge of instrumental analysis using GC, LC and MS instruments.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to manage conflicting priorities and changes in work flow.
- Degree in Chemistry or closely related discipline.
- Competent in instrument maintenance.
- Competent in method development.
- Competent in method validation.
- Experience of working in a busy laboratory environment.
Please click on the 'Apply Now' button to forward your CV quoting the reference TOX058 for Analytical vacancies and TOX060 for Reporters vacancies
LGC Forensics is an equal opportunities employer