This job is no longer available
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is a world leader in genomic research, with an expanding scientific programme dedicated to understanding gene function in health & disease.
The Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Team provides proteomics support to a wide range of projects as well as conducting their own proteomics research and method development projects and are involved in many external collaborations. The team has long standing expertise in all stages of proteomics including sample preparation, peptide and protein separation and purification technologies, mass spectrometry and proteomics data analysis. Using state of the art high resolution mass spectrometers they can conduct in-depth proteomics experiments to confidently identify and quantify peptides, proteins and their modifications.
The research programme develops and brings together a range of disciplines (mass spectrometry, biochemistry, molecular biology and informatics) that provide a powerful platform for proteome discovery and measurement. Coherent technology development within all of these disciplines is essential for their diverse research activities. These constitute analysis of protein-protein interactions, cell signaling and proteome dynamics in ES cells, pathogens, model organisms and human cell lines and tissues.
The Mass Spectometry team are now looking to recruit a skilled and experienced programmer able to develop software and computational tools to manage and analyze mass spectrometry data. The postholder will analyse and interpret proteomics data by performing bioinformatic and statistical analysis. Additionally, he/she will be expected to develop and implement data analysis methods and software tools to improve and streamline proteomics workflows.
- PhD in a relevant discipline
- Masters Degree in a relevant discipline with significant experience of software development in an academic or commercial research environment
- Background in at least one of the following areas: proteomics; mass spectrometry; bioinformatics or statistics.
- Expertise in statistical tools and software, proficient in quantitative data analysis methods
- Proven experience in bioinformatics analysis of large biological datasets
- Excellent organisation and record keeping skills
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to work without constant supervision
- Experience of analysing quantitative mass-spectrometry data
- Good working knowledge in processing proteomics mass spectrometry data and software
- Familiarity with existing bio-informatics data repositories, tools and sequence databases
To apply for this position please also include a covering letter with your application.
For further information about the position please contact the Head of Mass Spectrometry Dr Jyoti Choudhary on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Institute has excellent purpose built facilities on the Genome Campus, Hinxton on the outskirts of Cambridge. We offer a comprehensive range of benefits including a final salary pension scheme and excellent on-site facilities. Further details can be found on our website https://jobs.sanger.ac.uk,
To submit your CV and apply for this job please go to https://jobs.sanger.ac.uk, to register and apply on line.]
Salary range £27589 to £38067 per annum dependent on experience. Closing Date: 24th August 2012