This job is no longer available
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is a world leader in genomic research, with an expanding scientific programme dedicated to understanding gene function in health & disease.
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is a world leader in the use of large-scale sequencing, informatics and analysis of genetic variation. We use sequence data to further our understanding of infectious disease and generate resources of lasting value to biomedical research. The Parasite Genomics group is a multidisciplinary team that uses large-scale approaches to study parasite species associated with diseases of global importance.
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic bioinformatician to contribute to and maintain software that supports the work of the helminth (parasitic worm) genome improvement team within the parasite genomics group. The successful candidate will perform bespoke and routine procedures to process sequence data for genome improvement and provide ad-hoc bioinformatics support to the team. This position is highly collaborative in nature and so strong communication skills and willingness to work in a team setting are crucial.
- BSc in biological or computational science
- Experience using Unix/Linux operating systems
- Competent Perl or Python programmer
- Good theoretical knowledge of DNA sequencing technology
- Good theoretical knowledge of DNA & RNA bioinformatics
- Experience of problem solving
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels, with appropriate formal or informal presentations
- Experience of automating scripts and pipelines
- Good theoretical knowledge of common molecular biological approaches incl. cloning & DNA manipulation
- Knowledge of parasitology
- Working knowledge of molecular biology
We welcome applications for flexible working, including part-time.
The Institute has excellent purpose built facilities on the Genome Campus, Hinxton on the outskirts of Cambridge. We offer a comprehensive range of benefits including a final salary pension scheme and excellent on-site facilities. Further details can be found on our website https://jobs.sanger.ac.uk,
To submit your CV and apply for this job please go to https://jobs.sanger.ac.uk, to register and apply on line.]
Salary range is £21,485 to £28,849 per annum dependent on experience.
Closing date: 27th August 2012