This job is no longer available
• To contribute to the development of innovative research and claims opportunities within the global GSK Nutrition (Adult Specialist Nutrition) portfolio. The emphasis will be on physiology, nutrition and metabolism nutrition research, in particular focusing on protein and muscle metabolism.
• To design, implement and manage intervention studies in human subjects in conjunction with external centres of excellence and/or sporting bodies.
• Design and oversee field studies in human subjects using existing products.
• Write scientific dossiers to provide scientific substantiation for all new claims to be made on new Adult Specialist Nutrition branded products.
Business Skills & Competencies
• A PhD in Physiology, Metabolism or Nutrition, or a minimum of a BSc in a related field, with substantial demonstrated competence in designing, implementing and managing human studies.
• Practical experience related to claims research in the Food & Drinks industry.
• Experience in the design, implementation and management of intervention studies in human subjects in conjunction with external centres of excellence
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of key trends in sport science, nutrition and healthcare
• Demonstrate ability to co-ordinate team and project activity, including operating with external partners.
• Track record of managing multiple projects successfully.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret scientific data and information on products
• Provides leading edge scientific contribution to the Adult Specialist Nutrition New Product Research team, particularly around the delivery of scientifically differentiated products or claims for Maxinutrition and Lucozade Sport.
• Leads one or more projects in support of Sub-Category plans.
• Designs, implements and manages Proof of Principle intervention studies in human subjects in conjunction with external centres of excellence and works to optimise product opportunities for optimal positioning
• Writes detailed and accurate scientific reports on the evaluation of new product opportunities, and when required, scientific position papers on aspects of current products and ingredients.Sets priorities to remain focused on objectives in rapidly changing circumstances.
• Expected to author, or co-author, internal reports, including data to support Claim Support Summaries and external publications.
• Champions ideas through to evaluation stage with passion and persistence.
• Contributes to the creation of project plans to fit overall project objectives.
• Ensures all work is conducted in accordance with written procedures (e.g. Quality Management System, Work Instructions, Standard Operating Procedures) and regulated Health & Safety requirements and Guidelines.
• Creates and maintains good working relationships within the GSK Nutrition business, as well as other key functions in R&D, and with external collaborators in academia and industry.
• Reviews and approves Department quality documentation (including SOPs, validation protocols and reports). This may also include preparation of, or contribution to, Departmental quality documentation.
• Conducts all work following good scientific practice (always) and Good Clinical or Manufacturing Practice (where required).
• Retains and develops expert technical skills and knowledge through publishing and presenting work in peer-reviewed technical journals and at internationally recognised scientific meetings.
• Responsible for highlighting own training needs and working with the manager to develop a training plan and achieve training goals.
• Acts as a GSK representative at meetings/ symposia held by regulatory/ academic/ professional bodies, conditional on line management approval.
• Drives for continuous improvement and improved ways of working.
• Maintains an active awareness of regulations impacting areas of work.
• Build an extensive knowledge and understanding of key trends in sport science and sports nutrition.
• Build/maintain a network of key external experts in the area of physiology, metabolism and nutrition.
Behavioural Skills & Competencies
• Excellent team working skills
• Strong written and oral communications skills with demonstrable skills in oral presentations to both internal staff and other functions.
• Self-reliant, flexible, with good time management skills with ability to operate in an empowered environment.
• Excellent influencing and negotiation skills and the ability to work closely with commercial, regulatory functions and external research agencies and academia