This job is no longer available
Bibliographic Data Manager
Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 6 or 7, depending on qualifications and experience
Closing Date: 22 August 2012
Reference number: EBI_00237
We are looking to recruit an experienced Bibliographic Data Manager to join the Literature Services Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The Literature Services Team leads the development and maintenance of UK PubMed Central (UKPMC: http://ukpmc.ac.uk/), a repository of over 2 million full text biomedical research articles, supplemented with over 26 million abstracts, database links, text-mined terms, and citation information. UKPMC is being developed by groups at EMBL-EBI, the British Library, and the University of Manchester and is funded by major UK funders of biological and biomedical research, led by the Wellcome Trust.
We require an experienced bibliographic Data Manager to join our team. The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing our metadata and full text pipelines and ensuring overall data quality.
Primary responsibilities of the role are to:
- Manage primary metadata content input streams e.g. PubMed, Agricola, Crossref, patents
- Manage full text content development
- Troubleshoot data processing or display issues
- Coordinate with appropriate personnel to solve programming and content-related issues
- Contribute expertise and ideas to development plans
- Provide authoritative advice to development team members
The position offers a unique opportunity to work on a high-profile bibliographic resource within the context of other databases that support life sciences research community.
EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants will require experience in scripting and conversion of data formats, as well as a demonstrable understanding of the elements of bibliographic data and their relationships to each other. We expect the data manager to be an authority on bibliographic data and contribute to development projects from this perspective. (S)He will have a passion for delivering high-quality content to our users. Attention to detail, coupled with a pragmatic approach to the management to large quantities of data will be essential.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge and experience:
- Extensive experience with information markup standards such as XML, HTML, MARC
- Extensive experience in XML parsing and XPath expressions
- Extensive experience with XSLT coding, DTDs, XML schema, OAI-PMH
- Experience in Unix shell scripts
- Broad familiarity with authoring, editorial and publishing software such as Microsoft Office, Endnote, manuscript submission platforms
- At least two years experience in a book or journal publishing environment, repository, or similar
- Biological sciences background would be a bonus but not essential
Please click on the 'Apply Now' button to submit your application online via our website.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Note that special visa requirements apply to employees from non EU countries working at EMBL-EBI in the UK. The period of work does not qualify them for the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme.