This job is no longer available
Our Client is a Biotechnology company that is developing high throughput quantitative biochemical assays for the pharmaceutical industry.
The challenge for the holder of the Senior Chemistry position will be to design chemical biology and surface chemistry tools / approaches that support the development of high throughput protein kinase assays based on the technology. The post will require a dynamic flexible approach and the ability to interact with Biologists / Biochemists, Physicists and Engineers. The Senior Chemist will be responsible for the delivery a series of technical goals with tight deadlines and will be expected to deliver highly innovative solutions in the areas of surface modification and protein kinase / ATP analogue conjugate production.
The Senior Chemist will help refine and implement our Client’s Chemistry development program from advanced proof-of-concept demonstrations through to the delivery of commercial product. At the scientific level, the work will involve use of cutting edge techniques at the interface of synthetic biology, protein biochemistry and nanotechnology. The synthetic molecules / approaches designed by the Senior Chemist will form the heart of our Client’s long-term biomolecule interaction strategy.
Main Functions of Post
- To design and commission the synthesis of molecules that allow conjugation of protein kinases / ATP analogues to oligonucleotides
- To optimise surface preparation / modification for biomolecule array production.
· Designing and implementing chemical biology solutions for nucleic acid conjugation
· Optimising surface-modification techniques for bioconjugation
· Developing novel chemistry-based intellectual property
· To work with protein biochemists and laser physicists to implement a new chip technologies.
· To focus on quality and reproducibility
Essential Criteria Expertise/Competence/Skills
1. Expertise in medicinal chemistry
2. Knowledge of surface chemistry
3. A track record of work in the field of chemical biology
4. Leadership qualities and the ability to work as part of a team
5. Experience in sub-contracting chemical syntheses
6. Knowledge of the drug discovery pipeline
7. Experience of working with biologists and physicists towards a focused goal.
8. The ability to work to deadlines
9. Excellent organisational skills with a proven ability to prioritise and meet deadlines within the framework of an agreed programme
10. The ability to plan, present and implement technical work packages
11. Demonstrated flexibility and the ability to overcome technical and commercial problems
12. Excellent written and verbal communication skillsQualifications (IT/Academic/Vocational)
13. A PhD in a Pharmacology, Chemistry or Chemical Biology
14. The ability to work with both academia and industry
15. Management of intellectual property
16. The validation of new technology (precision and quantification)
16. Ambitious and committed to scientific excellence
17. Committed to precision, accuracy and task completion.
18. Interest in scientific innovation.
19. A strong interest in commercial applications of new technology.
20. Experience of protein kinase drug design
21. Experience of protein chip technologies
22. Experience of surface modification for biological applications
23. Experience in using 3D protein modelling programs
24. Experience in polymer chemistry