This job is no longer available
The Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is the UK’s provider of large scale inter-disciplinary research infrastructures and their supporting technologies, which enable UK researchers to investigate the world we live in and understand the building blocks of the universe.
GridPP Secruity Officer
£26,610 - £29,566 Band D
£33,780 - £37,534 Band E
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
The STFC e-Science Centre at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory has a vacancy for a member of staff to be the GridPP expert on Computer, Network and Grid security.
The UK GridPP project, funded by STFC, is a collaboration of particle physicists and computer scientists from the UK and CERN, who are running a computing Grid for particle physics (see http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/). The large GridPP team at RAL, with staff from both the Particle Physics Department and the e-Science Centre (eSC) are working in many areas of the project. They also work on the LHC Computing Grid (wLCG) http://lcg.web.cern.ch/LCG/ project based at CERN and the European Grid Infrastructure http://www.egi.eu
STFC has a number of other security roles including security policy making, software vulnerability, and running the national research Certificate Authority so the post is part of a cohort of similar professionals working as an informal team on a variety of projects.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities
• Provide expert support and advice to the GridPP Operations Team and the UK Tier1/Tier2 centres in all aspects of security, with the aim of achieving secure and reliable operation of the GridPP computing Grid
• Take a leading role in the EGI Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT), which may include acting as the EGI Security Officer
• Monitor operating system, network and Grid middleware vulnerabilities, in collaboration with Grid Operation Centres, Security Incident Response bodies and the EGI Grid Software Vulnerability Group
• Advise GridPP system administrators, middleware developers and application developers on appropriate action in the event of a security incident and assist in the forensic analysis of security incidents.
• Prepare and maintain documentation on best security practices
• Perform risk analyses and devise appropriate methods for managing identified risks
• Collaborate with similar activities in other Grid projects both nationally and internationally
The duties at the higher Band will include more responsibility, leadership and decision making, and possible participation in the development and maintenance of policy and liaison with international committees coordinating security policy and operations.
Contacts and Communication
You will report to the Scientific Computing Technology Group Leader and liaise with UK sysadmins and researchers and other security professional in other countries
Personal Skills and Attributes
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Proactive attitude to problem solving
Any other Relevant Information
• UK and Overseas travel.
Starting salary is dependent on your qualifications and experience. Our benefits include a generous leave allowance, a healthcare package and choice of pension benefits. Where appropriate, assistance with relocation expenses may be available.
Applications are handled by the RCUK Shared Services Centre; to apply please visit our job board at www.topcareer.jobs If you are unable to apply online please contact us on 01793 867003 quoting reference IRC61346
Closing date for applications: 12 September 2012
Interview date: 28 September 2012
STFC is an equal opportunity employer and promotes diversity in its workforce. We are particularly keen to consider applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce and we are positive about disability.