This job is no longer available
Forensic Casework DNA Reporting Scientist
Summary of Job: A forensic reporting scientist with DNA specialisation and expert witness training to present DNA evidence in court. Responsible for high throughput reporting of DNA casework.
Senior Forensic DNA Reporting Team Leader
- Responsible for reporting DNA casework and NDNAD matches under the supervision of the Team Leader, ensuring that high quality standards, integrity, continuity and consistency are maintained at all times.
- Provide verbal and written testimony for cases reported.
- Present expert evidence in court.
- Training to peer check statements and reports prepared by other trained Forensic Casework DNA Reporting Scientists.
- Aid Managers and Team Leaders through proactive continuous process improvement to maintain quality standards and decrease statement TRT’s.
- Liaise with police officers, NPIA, NDU and other forensic authorities.
- Competently update tracking systems designed to monitor casework request, statements, enquiries and invoicing.
- Involvement in project work / case reviews as appropriate.
- Perform basic administrative tasks related to dealing with enquiries and reporting.
- Maintain an up to date and complete technical knowledge of DNA analysis processes, judicial systems and the NDNAD.
- B.Sc. Degree in Biology, Genetics, Forensics or related subject.
- Competent in the interpretation and reporting of Forensic DNA STR analysis.
- Competent to produce statements for DNA casework and NDNAD matches.
- Working towards competency in peer checking statements and reports.
- Experience of word processing, spreadsheet and database packages – Word, Excel and other applications.
- Solid background in DNA forensics and in depth knowledge of judicial systems and NDNAD Operations.
- Laboratory examination of exhibits for recovery of DNA / body fluid evidence.
- Preferably proficient in the operation of Forensic DNA interpretation software (Genemapper).
- Experience of Genescan, Genotyper and Mac data analysis an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of present Forensic DNA STR profiling techniques and associated statistical evaluation.
- Completion of an Expert Witness assessment to report DNA evidence in court.
- Ability to present technical data clearly and concisely in both written and verbal forms.
- Highly ethically motivated
- Professional demeanor.
- This role requires good concentration, meticulous attention to detail, and accurate record keeping.
- Sedentary walking and standing
- Significant amounts of close vision VDU work
- A computer workstation in an air conditioned office.
- Moderate noise level.
- May be required to work out of hours.
Please click on the 'Apply Now' button to submit your application by email.