This job is no longer available
Job title Analytical Chemist
Req ID 33280BR
Job category: Research & Technology
Sub-category: Research, Development & Technology
Countries (State/Region): United States - California
Location: San Diego
We are seeking a highly motivated and collaborative scientist with substantial industrial experience and versatile hands-on expertise to join our Analytical Chemistry team. The successful candidate will contribute to a number of projects supporting optimization and commercialization of current lignocellulosic ethanol process and development of new biofuels technology platforms.
Work activities will include analysis of samples generated at different stages of the bioprocess using a range of analytical techniques, instrumentation and software to provide information on compounds present and quantities of these, optimization of existing and development of new analytical methods for identification of unknown compounds, delivery of high quality and accurate analytical chemistry data and information, effective supervision and mentorship for 2-3 analytical chemistry research associates, and subject matter expert interaction with cross-functional project teams.
Key accountabilities - Preparing and analyzing process samples using versatile analytical techniques and instrumentation, such as HPLC, GC, IC, ICP, LC MS/MS, and GC-MS.
- Review and interpretation of analytical results.
- Validating existing methods and troubleshooting techniques for the analysis of diverse process samples.
- Writing, optimizing, and validating SOPs and SOMs for analytical instrumentation and methods.
- Generating, recording, interpreting, and reporting high quality and accurate analytical chemistry data and information.
- Performing in a leadership role within the Analytical Chemistry team to train and mentor the next generation of research associates and scientists.
- Working proactively and collaboratively to support cross-functional project teams across the BP Biofuels organization.
Essential Education - B.S. or M. Sc. in Analytical Chemistry or related Life Sciences discipline with emphasis in chromatography, and 5-10 years of industrial experience.
Essential experience and job requirements - Strong background in qualitative and quantitative analytical chemistry, excellent technical, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Hands-on experience in state-of-the-art chromatography techniques and hardware, strong analytical software skills.
- Ability to QC and interpret analytical data to help guide research efforts of project teams.
- Ability and willingness to provide mentorship to analytical research associates.
- Excellent record keeping, oral communication, and writing skills.
- Ability to perform successfully in an ambiguous environment.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities.
Desirable criteria & qualifications Biofuels Capabilities:
- Value Creator: Focuses their energy on the actions that will add the greatest value to Biofuels, showing initiative, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Seeks to exceed expectations and look beyond the tried and tested to solve problems.
- People Developer: Works to achieve own and others’ potential. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term delivery with the longer-term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business.
- Great Partner: Builds strong and enduring relationships across and outside the business. Collaborates effectively at all levels, recognising the value of those with different expertise and from different backgrounds.
- Operational Expertise: Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations.
Relocation available: No
Travel required: Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position? No
About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
At BP Alternative Energy we're investing in new ways of providing energy - from innovative new solar and wind businesses to advanced biofuels and clean energy technologies such as the capture and storage of carbon dioxide from traditional fossil fuels. These will provide customers with clean, secure energy - and they will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
In Biofuels, our business in conventional products such as bio-ethanol is already substantial, accounting for about 10% of the world market. However, as well as providing today's biofuels, we're also developing tomorrow's. We are investing $500 million over 10 years in the Energy Biosciences Institute to explore options for advanced biofuels and other applications of biotechnology to energy.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
BP is an equal opportunity employer.