This job is no longer available
Senior Research Scientist/Engineer in Biometric Electro-Optical Systems
Porton Down, Salisbury
This key role offers a fascinating opportunity to advance the boundaries of the new and expanding fields of Biometric and Optical. You’ll be involved in a wide range of projects underpinning high priority areas of research, investigating the potential use of a range of technologies in the defence and security arena. There will also be scope for involvement in design and implementation of new technology for real world application.
- Be involved in projects that require a broad understanding of Biometrics or Electro-Optical sensors and the application of data fusion for these technologies.
- Use computer modelling and computational algorithms to interpret large data sets
- Support the evaluation of existing and new hardware
- Build and maintain relationships with a number of customers and suppliers
As well as a broad understanding of Biometrics and Electro-Optical sensors, you’ll need:
- A First or Upper Second degree (or equivalent) in physics, electronic engineering, computer science or an analytical discipline
- Experience of using programming skills and knowledge to enhance imagery products, pattern recognition systems and computer based classifiers
- Good communication skills to advise both technical and non-technical stakeholders
Dstl are maximising the impact of science and technology for the defence and security of the UK. Our work’s carried out in partnership with the best people in the world, including renowned universities, small independent companies, large defence firms and even other nations. We’re extremely proud of what we do, as we support UK military operations now and in the future – saving lives in the UK, overseas and on the front line.
Job reference: 24006.
Closing date: 20 August.
Interview Date: 18 September.
Due to the reserved nature of this role, it is only open to UK Nationals who have lived in the country for more than five years. All posts require standard Security Clearance (SC).
Please click on the 'Apply Now' button to be taken to our website. In ‘Job Search’, look for Defence Science and Technology Laboratory under ‘Department’, and follow the instructions to submit your application.
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
Maximising the impact of science and technology for the defence and security of the UK.