This job is no longer available
Our Client is a Biotechnology company that is developing high throughput quantitative biochemical assays for the pharmaceutical industry.
The challenge for the holder of the Senior BioChemist position will be to lead a group of biologists in the development of high throughput protein kinase assays using the technology. The approach will require a dynamic flexible approach and the ability to interact with Chemists, Physicists and Engineers. The Senior Biochemist will lead and manage a team of biologists to deliver a series of technical goals with tight deadlines.
The Senior Biochemist will help refine and implement our Client’s biology development program to advance proof-of-concept demonstrations through to the delivery of commercial product. At the scientific level, the work will involve use of cutting edge techniques at the interface of synthetic biology, protein biochemistry and nanotechnology.
Main Functions of Post
- To develop quantitative protein kinase binding assays via the creation of molecular conjugates with synthetic oligonucleotides.
- To produce arrays of protein-kinase / DNA conjugates
· To refine and implement a technical plan to deliver arrays of tethered protein kinases
· To coordinate and lead the activities of a group of Biologists with those of Chemists and Physicists/Engineers
· Design and creation of protein/DNA conjugates using purified protein kinases
· Production of protein kinases and protein kinase fusion proteins in cell free extracts, bacteria and mammalian cells
· Quality control and testing of protein kinase activity and ATP binding.
Essential Criteria Expertise/Competence/Skills
Excellent knowledge and practical experience of protein purification
Excellent knowledge and practical experience of protein conjugation
Excellent knowledge of protein kinase biology
Excellent knowledge of kinase inhibitor design/drug development
Excellent organisational skills with a proven ability to prioritise and meet deadlines within the framework of an agreed programme.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A PhD in Biochemistry/Chemistry or other relevant equivalent research experience.
A demonstrable history of practical laboratory work using protein kinases
Experience of laboratory work in a biotechnology-based industry
A working knowledge of protein purification techniques
Committed to precision, accuracy and task completion.
Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision.
Flexible, responsible approach to working in a multi-tasking and multi-disciplinary environment.