This job is no longer available
INSPIRING AUSTRALIA MANAGER / COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
FACULTY OF SCIENCE
REFERENCE NO. 1134/0712
- Coordinate strategy on engagement with science in NSW
- High profile role, work in collaboration with governments, industry, cultural, scientific and educational organisations
- $103K p.a. which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
An Australian Government initiative, the Inspiring Australia strategy aims to build a strong, open relationship between science and society, underpinned by effective communication of science and its benefits.I In collaboration with the NSW Government and Commonwealth Government, the Faculty of Science at the University of Sydney is currently seeking to appoint a manager to support this exciting initiative.
As Inspiring Australia Manager you will:
- establish, lead, coordinate and evaluate a network of science communication and engagement activities across the state
- facilitate strategic partnerships with industry, cultural agencies or other groups or through alternate self-sustaining arrangements
- contribute to science policy development.
To qualify for this role, you will be able to demonstrate:
- understanding of the media and ability to apply this knowledge to inform and influence community and stakeholder attitudes
- leadership skills which inspire others to achieve goals, build network capability and proactively seek opportunities
- strategic thinking and marketing and communications planning skills
- ability to manage people and projects to meet deadlines through effective goal-setting, resource allocation, contingency planning and performance evaluation
- exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, negotiation, relationship building and consultation skills
- experience in large-scale event management
- flexibility regarding work hours for evening and weekend work and possible interstate/international travel
- relevant postgraduate qualification or undergraduate qualification and considerable relevant experience.
An understanding of current governmental policies in science and education and ability to understand complex scientific principles and specialised research will be advantageous.
The position is full-time fixed-term for 18 months initially, with the possibility of renewal for a further 12 months. Enquiries can be directed to Emma Treacy-Matunga on (02) 8627 1236.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/positions and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
Remuneration package: $103,518 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $87,474 p.a., leave loading and up to 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation).
CLOSING DATE: 20 September 2012 at 5.00pm
The University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney