Head of Product Development - South Wales
Head of Product Development - South Wales:
Strong Chemistry, Polymer Science or Materials Science background
Attractive package: £70k+, plus benefits - including assistance with relocation if required.
Our client is a major European group with global leadership in their specialist markets. With a reputation for quality, technical excellence, innovation and service, the group employs over 40,000 people in 28 countries delivering a diverse range of innovative technological solutions.
This exciting opening presents a unique opportunity to join an established leader in the hydrophilic wound care sector and assume a very visible role in the introduction of new technologies and the development of a global product portfolio.
- Manage the programme of technical development activities, balancing risk and commercial reward, to ensure R&D activities provide maximum return to the company.
- Lead development projects, working with the medical sales team and to manage technical aspects of new developments for existing and potential customers.
- Identify how the business can exploit new product development opportunities within the medical market to increase the product portfolio, reduce costs, improve product quality, and reduce risk to the end consumer.
- Work with key suppliers to develop new raw materials, formulations and product specifications to safeguard the long term future of the products.
- Work with European and North American sales teams to develop a detailed commercial understanding of new opportunities, and ensure that new developments can return appropriate margins
- Initiate, design and manage manufacturing trials and laboratory evaluation both internally and with specialist sub-contractors.
- Manage “routine” technical and HSE activities including COSHH, COMAH and REACH
- You will possess a Ph.D or a good Honours degree in Chemistry or Materials Science and have significant industrial experience of technical product development within a medical applications manufacturing environment.
- You will be able to demonstrate solid “hands on” development skills in a production environment.
- You will possess proficient analytical skills in scientific research and have the ability to independently problem solve and derive new process methods / procedures at an advanced level.
- Good commercial awareness with ability to effectively manage resources to optimise return and align with the agreed business strategy.
- Strong personal motivation, a positive outlook, enthusiasm, high order communication and networking skills and the ability to connect effectively with a range of internal and external audiences will all be sought.
Experience in the following area would be advantageous:-
- Development and production experience gained from working with Polyurethane would be of particular interest.
- Wound care and the development of materials for wound care applications
- Experience in production systems, engineering and equipment in a clean room environment (ISO 14644).
- The regulatory environment governing medical devices.
- A good technical understanding of quality and medical standards (e.g. 13845, 10993) plus environmental and safety standards (14001 and 18001).
- Familiarity with HSE and chemical safety regulations (e.g. COSHH, COMAH, REACH).
Development of patents and the management of intellectual property.
To apply, please click on the ‘Apply’ button