- Full Time
JOB SUMMARY Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000/year
The function of this position is to supervise laboratory operations performing testing of food products and environmental samples. This position is responsible for application and evaluation of approved techniques and methodologies used in analysis of food products. The Laboratory Supervisor will have frequent contact with the client base as well as review, reporting and interpretation of laboratory results in collaboration with the management team. The Laboratory Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing of daily workload and staffing placement in the Laboratory area while working closely with the Laboratory Manager and Assistant Laboratory Manager.
- Supervise laboratory operations to maintain quality and efficiency as they apply to the laboratory area.
- Accurately perform and interpret test results, notifying the Laboratory Manager of deviations.
- Supervise training of new and current laboratory personnel in laboratory procedures and protocols as authorized.
- Provided feedback for and participate in laboratory personnel reviews.
- Report concerns of equipment failures and non-compliance of supplies and reagents.
- Supervise quality control procedures and documentation to support compliance with ISO 17025 guidelines.
- Participate as an interface for the laboratory client base related to communication of results generated in the pathogen laboratory.
- Assist in the communication of all log entries.
- Assist in inventory maintenance.
- Perform internal audits of processes as directed.
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends.
- Supervise non-routine projects as assigned.
- Independently pursue working knowledge of processes, procedures, or techniques in accordance with the Food Safety Net Services Methods Manual, Quality Manual, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Safety Manual, and approved laboratory procedures.
- Supervise all activities, including quality control records, forms, files, pathogen log, etc.
- Communicate directly with clients on laboratory results.
- Ensure that the appropriate number of technicians are allocated are in the respective areas of the Laboratory; this will include shifting people when necessary.
- Submit staffing schedules to the Assistant Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Manager.
- Oversee the scheduling of lunch breaks to ensure there is no down time in the laboratory.
- Oversee status of all results and reporting for clients as needed (including notification of out of specification results).
- Work closely with the Technical Supervisor in the constant maintenance of proper methodology in all areas of laboratory testing.
- Directly involved in the training of laboratory personnel and maintenance of training records.
- Alert Assistant Laboratory Manager of need for repair services for malfunctioning equipment.
- Ensure that all required lab control samples are prepared as required by procedures by assigning staff as necessary.
- Maintain visibility in all areas in order to be available to intervene where efficiency may be lacking.
- Directly address client needs as required and in collaboration with the Assistant Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Manager as required.
- Travel is required and at the discretion of management.
Directly supervises employees. Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, standard operating procedures and best practices. Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations at all times. Responsibilities includes training and mentoring employees; evaluate performance of assigned personnel, monitor performance action plans for employees, may interview applicants, improve operational efficiencies by focusing on customer service and maximizing production and profit; will direct work flow; maintain harmony in the workplace and professional business demeanor at all times.
- BS degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or related field or;
- Graduate degree in Microbiology.
- Two years minimum experience in an analytical testing laboratory required.
- Three or more years experience in a commercial food-testing laboratory preferred.
- Working knowledge of aseptic sampling technique, automated lab equipment, and acceptable methods and procedures.
- Familiarity with GMP, OSHA guidelines, FDA, BAM, APHA, and Compendium methods and procedures.
- Broad knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of a food testing laboratory.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Food Safety Net Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Women, Minorities, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Apply for Laboratory Supervisor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly