Principal Scientist, Genomics Platform
3 days left
- Full Time
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene Quanticel Research seeks a highly motivated molecular biology Principal Scientist to join our drug discovery research team. The successful candidate will manage the day to day operations of the company’s single cell and tissue genomics and gene expression analysis Platform. The Platform team is composed of scientists focused on isolating and characterizing single cells and tissues by qPCR and by NGS using an Illumina system – this includes exome, genome, transcriptome, chromatin immunoprecipitation, and methylation sequencing. The Platform team is responsible for isolating single cells from tissues, extracting DNA and RNA, performing DNA/RNA quantitation and quality control, preparing NGS libraries, and executing sequencing operations. The main responsibilities of the platform manager will be: Coordinating and optimizing the platform work with other project scientists and groups within the company, from receipt of samples to delivery of data; managing the daily work of the team members and the operation of the qPCR and NGS pipelines inclusive of liquid handling robots; managing and maintaining equipment and laboratory space; and contributing to the molecular biology work in the laboratory (hands-on bench work). Additionally, a successful candidate is expected to manage, implement, and document pipeline management systems, standard operating procedures, protocols, quality control processes, and equipment qualification plans.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Ph.D. in a biology-related science (biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, etc.) with at least 8 years of industry work experience, preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a biology-related discipline with at least 16 years of relevant industry work experience, or Master’s degree in a biology-related discipline with at least 14 years of relevant industry work experience, are acceptable.
Skills/Knowledge Required :
- Extensive experience with molecular biology procedures, including: RNA/DNA extraction, purification and quality control; PCR and qPCR; gel electrophoresis; cloning; and other basic molecular biology techniques.
- Extensive experience with next generation sequencing using Illumina instruments, including library preparation (RNA, whole genome, whole exome, chromatin immunoprecipitation & methylation sequencing), library quality control, and Illumina sequencer operation protocols.
- Extensive experience managing complex biology workflows.
- Experience managing a team of scientists and contractors that perform hands-on molecular biology work required.
- Experience implementing and documenting workflow management systems, protocols, standard operating procedures, quality control processes, and equipment maintenance & qualification plans.
- Experience with robotic liquid handling systems, preferably in the context of NGS library preparation.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to perform delicate manual tasks in a laboratory.
- Strong communication skills (able to clearly communicate problems, protocols, and results to colleagues, both in writing and verbally), and ability to keep complete and detailed records.
- Drive to seeing projects through to successful completion.
- Able to interact with colleagues of diverse backgrounds and contribute to team goals.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.