Principal Scientist, Translational Bioinformatics
2 days left
- Full Time
Internal Title: Principal Scientist, Protein Homeostasis
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Summary and Scope
The Celgene Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center is seeking a talented, experienced translational investigator with a track record of deriving biological insight from complex patient and other scientific data. In particular there is a strong focus on cancer disease mechanisms, and the optimization of treatment benefit in a clinical and bedside-to-bench setting. This individual will play a key scientific role in planning analyses and deriving data from pre-clinical studies and clinical material, and using these data to inform and enable development of novel agents in Celgene’s Research and Early Development organization.
The role will focus on agents targeting protein stability and function. Significant experience evaluating and deploying technologies in genome, transcriptome, and proteome characterization to clinical samples and data, and demonstrated success in deriving novel biological information and insight into clinical outcomes from such data, is required.
The position will require an individual with strong scientific leadership potential and excellent communication and collaboration skills. Applications are encouraged from those looking to bridge the capabilities and strengths of academic and industrial research environments to enable the development of truly innovative, life-changing therapies. As a member of an integrated discovery research and early development team, this role will also involve collaboration with discovery biology and chemistry researchers, clinicians, and computational biologists.
A keen interest in the emerging biology and therapeutic potential of regulated protein turnover and stability will be helpful. We are particularly interested to hear from individuals with deep knowledge and skills in genetic and protein interaction networks and pathway dependencies. In particular, a knowledge of pathways relevant to oncology would be helpful, although not essential.
This position will report to the Translational Leader of the Protein Homeostasis Thematic center of Excellence, and will be located in San Diego, California. Exceptional candidates who are geographically constrained to the San Francisco region may also be considered.
- Key contributor to translational science in the context of early-phase clinical trials
- Lead the selection, validation, and deployment of novel clinical-stage assay methods and analysis of data to accelerate development and provide insight into disease biology and drug mechanisms
- Evaluate and advise on clinical trial biomarker/exploratory endpoint strategies, collect and analyze patient data to inform clinical development
- Design, execute and interpret experiments to define dose-schedules, patient selection markers and other biomarker readouts, combination strategies and pathways of drug resistance for oncology programs
- Design and conduct experiments to test hypotheses from clinical observations in preclinical model systems
- Author and oversee writing of study reports, patents, and peer-reviewed publications. Presentation of methods, results and conclusions to publishable standards
- Present work at group meetings, internal forums and scientific conferences
- Provide scientific leadership on cross-site and cross-functional teams
- Contribute to the planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Supervise contract research organizations to achieve high standards of productivity and quality.
- Manage projects to successful outcomes through scientific leadership, teamwork and influence, and potentially direct reporting relationships
- Mentor other research staff through instruction, coaching and guidance
- Work across geographies and scientific domains
Required Skills and Knowledge
· Expert in the acquisition evelopment and application of NGS, omic, and other analysis methods that generate high-dimensional data
· Experienced scientific leader
· Comprehensive knowledge of cancer biology and drug development
· Proven ability to derive novel insights from complex data
· Ability to interpret and summarize scientific data in an accurate, critical and concise manner
· Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
· Strong understanding, derived from direct participation, of the design and execution of clinical trials incorporating translational science and correlative endpoints
· Expertise in biomarker discovery and development
· Experienced in the integration of preclinical research through to clinical drug development
· Highly effective teamwork and interpersonal skills
· Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
Skills/Knowledge Required :
Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related scientific discipline with at least 8 years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
Functional, Scientific, and Technical Skills:
- Expert in the development and application of NGS, omic, and other analysis methods that generate high-dimensional data
- E xperienced leader
- Knowledge of cancer biology
- Proven ability to derive novel insights from complex data
- Strong understanding, derived from direct participation, in the design and execution of clinical trials incorporating translational science and correlative endpoints
- Expertise in biomarker discovery and development
- Experienced in the integration of preclinical research through to clinical drug development
- Highly effective teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.