Senior Principal Scientist, Preformulation, Drug Product Development
3 days left
- Full Time
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
This position is located at our San Diego Discovery site and is responsible for discovery support, preclinical formulation development, drug substance characterization, and serving as a resident subject matter expert in pharmaceutical science to enable San Diego small molecule Drug Discovery efforts.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provides direct on-site support to enable efficacy, PK, and toxicology studies for San Diego small molecule Drug Discovery efforts.
· Provides drug substance characterization including crystallinity assessment, solubility determination, and physicochemical stability evaluation.
· Offers solubility enhancement for poorly water soluble compounds by applying various solubilization techniques.
· Develops understanding of the impact of physicochemical and solid state properties on drug candidate performance.
· Serves as a resident pharmaceutical science subject matter expert to inform, educate, and influence Drug Discovery teams finding new chemical entities with desirable physicochemical and pharmacokinetic properties.
· Provides on-going communication regarding San Diego Drug Discovery efforts to Pharmaceutical Development and partner groups to ensure organizational awareness, understanding, and alignment.
· Provides input to the development of program strategy, budgets, timelines, and project development plans, as needed.
· May be responsible for the technical leadership of junior scientists and contractors.
· May participate in due diligence assessments and may serve as the department’s direct interface with alliance partners with responsibility for risk assessment, financial and strategic planning, and project guidance responsibilities to protect the Company’s interests and resource investments.
· Builds and maintains strong working relationships with CRO/CMO partners ensuring that activities are managed collaboratively, efficiently, and effectively.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in discovery and preclinical support, biopharmaceutics, preclinical formulation development, salt screening and selection, polymorph screening, solid state characterization, and drug development in the pharmaceutical industry with a demonstrated track record of scientific and leadership responsibilities.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills to collaborate with others on projects (including both internal teams and external collaborators).
Minimum PhD deg ree in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Science, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry or related scientific discipline required.
· PhD in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Science, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry or related scientific discipline required.
· Minimum of 10 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry in small molecule drug discovery and development.
· Demonstrated knowledge, experience, and successful track record in discovery and preclinical support, preclinical formulation development, salt screening and selection, polymorph screening, solid state characterization, and aiding formulation design.
· Strong fluency in biopharmaceutics.
· Established knowledge of phase appropriate formulation considerations.
· Sound knowledge of pharmaceutical research and development processes.
· Has a mastery of the scientific/technical concepts and techniques, applies and furthers those concepts and techniques to efficiently and effectively resolve scientific/technical issues.Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.