Science Writer - Teddington
Job Ref: 65116
Job Title: Science Writer
Salary: £25,000 - £28,000
Closing date: 23rd September 2016
The UK's National Physical Laboratory (NPL) sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. One of the top three National Measurement Institutes (NMIs) in the world, we now have a regional presence and strategic relationships with Surrey and Strathclyde Universities. Our expertise and original research have benefited UK citizens and the UK economy for over a century.
As a Science Writer, you’ll create written content for EURAMET Management Support Unit (MSU) and provide some ad hoc support to the main NPL Communications team:
- Working within the EURAMET Management Support Unit (MSU), you’ll edit and finalise research summaries for multi-institution, international research projects, in addition to writing other content such as case studies and project synopses.
- Supporting the Communications team, you’ll be involved in the dissemination of NPL’s scientific outputs, covering a range of science communication activities, including online news stories, social media, and printed publications.
This is an excellent opportunity for a Science Writer to join an expanding sector of the business and closely interact with a world-class scientific community of 500+ metrologists. Moreover, this role will provide you with a broad exposure to a diverse research organisation, producing technical and non-technical written material for a variety of channels.
As a Science Writer you will be able to understand complex scientific knowledge and translate it into scientific communications and educational materials.
- Convert scientific outputs into written materials suitable for specialists and non-specialists.
- Use a flexible writing style, adjusted to different communication types and media.
- Coordinate and synchronise outputs from a number of projects.
You should have a science degree and experience of working in a research environment and communicating science. Fluency in spoken and written English is essential, and you must be adept at creating, interpreting, consolidating, structuring and presenting scientific information in a concise and effective manner, and in a range of formats.
- Proven science writing/communications experience
- Ability to understand complex topics and communicate them simply.
- Ability to effectively interview experts to understand their research.
- Ability to quality-check own work.
- Creative thinking and active problem-solving skills.
- Flair for writing captivating and convincing text.
- Understanding of publishing processes and different media/formats
- Online, social media and printed publications experience
- Advanced MS Office skills.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant, free parking and our own sports and social club.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Supporter.
To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button.