Epidemiologist - Southampton, UK
Are you ready for a challenge?
Do you want
- A career move?
- To participate in conducting pharmacovigilance and pharmacoepidemiological studies?
Epidemiologist required to work on pharmacovigilance and pharmacoepidemiological studies.
The Drug Safety Research Unit (DSRU) in Southampton is a leading research unit that monitors the safety of marketed medicines. The Unit is associated with the University of Portsmouth and has a high national and international profile.
The post will be of particular interest to a person with an epidemiological degree who is looking for a role in studying the safety of medicines in large populations (pharmacovigilance and pharmacoepidemiology). The successful candidate will work (with the appropriate level of supervision and mentoring) on designing and conducting studies assessing drug safety, in addition to conducting analyses for pharmacoepidemiological studies. Being involved in such studies is a team effort which includes liaising with IT and coding staff, physicians, external healthcare professionals, the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory authorities.
What qualifications do I need?
- PhD/MSc in Epidemiology
- A relevant Undergraduate degree
- Experience in pharmacovigilance/pharmacoepidemiology is desirable but not essential
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Support will be provided for career development in pharmacovigilance and pharmacoepidemiology.
In addition, the successful applicant will be required to be confident, innovative, self-motivated, a good team player and have good communication skills. The applicant should be IT literate and be proficient in standard Microsoft Office applications.
What aspects of research will I gain?
- Develop research skills in conducting population-based studies on the safety of medicines and gain increasing experience in conducting such studies
- Present research findings in peer reviewed journals
- Attend national and international scientific meetings
- Liaise with academic units, the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory authorities
- Training will be provided
- Support will be available for candidates who wish to work for a post-graduate degree
Full or Part-time?
Although this position is full-time, we will consider any applicants who may wish to work part-time
Salary will be in the region of £25,000-£30,000 per annum (or pro-rata if part-time) depending on experience. A higher salary will be paid to outstanding candidates with relevant experience.
Informal enquiries to Professor Saad Shakir, Director:
Tel: 023 8040 8600: email email@example.com
For an application form and job description please click on the 'Apply' button or contact:
Tel: 023 8040 8600: Mrs Rachel Green or Ms Rita Koumparos: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 21st October 2016