Senior Scientist, Translational Medicine
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Reporting to Principal Investigator, Translational Development, the candidate will contribute to developing strategy and be responsible for experimental design and execution of translational research studies supporting oncology drug development programs from discovery through early clinical development. This individual will also have the opportunity to provide translational support to clinical development teams, to implement biomarker programs and analyze patient data. The successful candidate will have research experience in cancer biology with an emphasis in immune-oncology and development and evaluation of oncology therapeutics.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
•Develop strategy, design, execute and interpret experiments to define dose-schedules, patient selection markers and other biomarker readouts, combination strategies and pathways of drug resistance for oncology programs
•Use cell-based assays and molecular and biochemical profiling to characterize drug mechanism of action, cellular mechanisms of efficacy, and rational drug combinations
•Lead scientifically on cross-functional and cross-site teams
•Interact with project teams, academic collaborators and contract laboratories to design in vitro and in vivo studies to evaluate drug candidates
•Develop and review study proposals, manage relationships and critically review data from contract labs and academic collaborators
•Evaluate and advise on clinical trial biomarker/exploratory endpoint strategies, collect and analyze patient data to inform clinical development
•Present work at group meetings, internal forums and scientific conferences
•Author study reports, assay protocols, patent applications, peer-reviewed publications
•Potentially mentor other research staff through instruction, coaching and guidance
• Contributing to research program and business.
• Subject matter leader.
• Broad knowledge of multiple functional technologies.
• In-depth understanding of function as it relates to project.
• Leads by example in lab.
• Functional area expert with skills, theoretical knowledge and experience to apply scientific direction and approach to projects and problems.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Completes technical assignments by designing, executing and interpreting complex experiments.
• Recommends department level strategic decisions.
• May lead scientifically on cross functional assignments.
• Manages and/or coordinates workflow on projects.
• Apply diverse scientific knowledge to assignments.
• Development of research tools.
• Interpret results.
• Helps design research strategies consistent with department goals.
• Provides input and makes recommendations to research strategies.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
• Identify & solve multi-faceted challenges.
• Recognizes problems and is able to recommend and develop appropriate solutions from prior experience, literature, or collaboration.
• Identify risks.
• Contributes ideas and develops/presents a scientific case (or position) inside and outside department/group.
Teamwork and Influence:
• Communicates with cross functional team.
• Directly impacts the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
• Represents workgroup/team or department on multi-disciplinary or cross functional teams.
• Work across departments.
• Direct impact on departmental performance.
• Impact is achieved by driving team efforts.
• Able to conceptualize broad impact of research programs and personal activities in terms of site.
• Champions change
• Leads courageously
• Provides directions
• Structuring and staffing
• Thinks strategically
Skills/Knowledge Required: • Comprehensive knowledge of tumor cell biology, molecular oncology and cancer immunology; experience developing biologics a plus • Working knowledge of a variety of cellular, biochemical and molecular assays, including proliferation/apoptosis, functional assays, flow cytometry, primary cell/3-D and co-culture systems, chemotaxis, ELISA, Western blot, RT-PCR, CRSPR/Cas9 and RNAi • Working knowledge of pharmacology models used in cancer biology (including solid tumor and disseminated xenograft, primagraft and syngeneic tumor models) • Ability to develop a research plan, conduct experimental work with accurate and detailed record keeping • Excellent organizational skills with the ability to efficiently manage and prioritize multiple projects, internal and external collaborations • Ability to interpret and summarize scientific data in an accurate, critical and concise manner • Excellent oral and written communication skills • Strong independent problem-solving skills • Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities • Must be willing to work with a highly motivated team, pursuing goals aggressively • The candidate will be a critical experimentalist, results oriented, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. • Excellent teamwork, organizational and communication skills are essential.
Education: The candidate must have a PhD in cell biology, immunology, molecular biology, biochemistry or related scientific field, with postdoctoral training and at least 6 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.