Overnight Chemist I
JOB SUMMARY Salary $34,000/year
The function of this job is to perform professional analytical and chemical testing of food products, ingredients, and environmentals. The position entails responsibility for application and evaluation of approved chemical techniques and methodologies used in analytical testing of food products/environmentals. The position works with the Laboratory Supervisor in the daily functions associated with the laboratory. The scope of laboratory tests performed will be directed by the proficiency level the technician has successfully demonstrated and authorized to perform. This position is commonly referred to as a special projects chemist due to the more technical nature of the scope of work and involvement in special projects.
- Apply aseptic/chemical techniques in daily workload and prepare and analyze samples for indicator organisms, pathogens, and chemistries according to acceptable methods.
- Independently pursue an assigned series of processes, procedures, or techniques in accordance with Food Safety Net Services Methods Manual, Quality Manual, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Safety Manual, and approved laboratory procedures.
- Accurately perform and read test results and notify Laboratory Manager of deviations.
- Prepare media and reagents as needed for daily chemical testing.
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends.
- Report inventory and expendable supplies/materials needed for testing requirements.
- Provide routine preventive maintenance by daily cleaning, sanitizing, trash disposal, and equipment quality control.
- Assist in quality control duties by taking incubator temperatures, inoculating control organisms, running media controls etc., and other laboratory quality control procedures including quality control documentation.
- Assist with training and research assignments.
- Maintain safe, efficient, and compliant lab operations, to include equipment maintenance and purchasing supplies.
- Assist with the coordination of sample collection, transport, and receiving.
- Maintain customer satisfaction while achieving desired business results.
- Assist with managing priorities and schedule such that individual goals as well as team goals are achieved with encouraged participation in the Food Safety Net Services team.
- Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area.
- Responsible for the completion of required training.
- Travel is required and at the discretion of management.
BS degree in Chemistry or related field.
Masters degree in Chemistry or related field preferred.
Two years of analytical laboratory experience.
Three or more years experience in a commercial food-testing laboratory preferred.
Working knowledge of aseptic sampling technique, automated lab equipment, and acceptable methods and procedures.
Familiarity with GMP , OSHA guidelines, FDA, BAM, APHA, and Compendium methods and procedure.
Broad knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of a food testing laboratory.
Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Food Safety Net Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Women, Minorities, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Apply for Overnight Chemist I
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly