Consumer Product Insights Associate
Background to Consumer Product Insights
Consumer Product Insights is an early stage innovation team within RB R&D challenged with developing and delivering an innovation program focused on embedding consumer preference and appeal into product propositions earlier in the NPD process. The CPI team will function as a pre-development-brief R&D resource supporting the identification of novel product forms that have the potential to bring in new users into any product category. CPI are responsible for the interpretation of consumer needs and market opportunities (provided by category marketing and CMI) into product embodiments or, with the support of category colleagues, new business opportunities outside of physical product-in-box. CPI are responsible for building consumer sentiment into the product innovation programs of R&D through the planning and management of innovation in-the-field, consumer observation, provocation, prototyping and other consumer-product touch point activities. CPI is multi-disciplinary and autonomous in the strategy it employs to deliver against its objectives requiring leadership and sound business understanding from all team members.
About the role
CPI Associates are responsible for the delivery of, in collaboration with their direct CPI team and the broader R&D community, product embodiments that meet the identified consumer needs of the program sponsor. The Associate will function with a specific skill set(s) within their CPI team:
- Responsibility Set – CPI Technologist: Controls the “conceptually feasible” state of projects. Key ley liaison to Category R&D and OI to understand the historical and technical landscape of a project (i.e. what has been done - researched and/or launched - in the past, safety/regulatory challenges, current and potential future technologies, etc.). Responsible for ensuring CPI research builds on our history and delivers meaningful, actionable and unique propositions to the project stakeholders. Supports/leads prototyping.
The CPI Technologist will work as part of a small innovation team with other CPI Associates whose roles include a Consumer Scientist (controls planning, coordination, and interpretation of consumer interactive activities) and a Product Designer (controls the product-consumer-behavior embodiment of all product idea output, supports/leads prototyping activities). With each project, further roles and responsibilities are defined specifically by the CPI Manager.
- The CPI Associate will be responsible for the strategic planning and execution of numerous innovation programs including but not limited to:
- The planning and execution of theme based innovation programs aimed at improving the competitive advantage of RB in fields within and outside of current working practice.
- Coordination and planning of in-country consumer innovation projects conducted in RB markets throughout the world.
- The planning and execution of consumer centric product innovation activities including ethnographic, design research and co-creation programs of work.
- The CPI Associate may occasionally be required to conduct long term field research activities that may include in-country working for up to 6 weeks at a time.
- The CPI Associate will be expected to conduct extensive networking and exploration activities within an innovation theme and be comfortable representing RB at business meetings and vendor/consultant negotiations alone.
- The CPI Associate will be responsible for presenting strategies and recommendations to senior RB management and must be comfortable and confident in their manner.
- Pre-feasibility early stage innovation.
- Whole product forms/function and/or consumer behaviour change.
- Health, hygiene and home - all geographies
- Special focus on CDO and selected IMEX/PO1 partners
- Identification of unique product forms and opportunities with blockbuster potential.
- Multi-stakeholder management.
- Embedding consumer centric Innovation into RB R&D routine practice.
Skills & Experience required
- Experience within FMCG or consumer health companies in product categories where consumer science makes up an important part of product development OR experience in a consultancy where product innovation for FMCG or consumer durable goods was a core focus.
- Strong experience and background in Technology innovation, product invention, and/or product development
- Able to effectively translate technology opportunities into winning consumer propositions. The drive to take an idea from conception through to realization.
- Experience in insight generation and deep consumer understanding, consumer segmentation and concept development amongst others.
- Ability to integrate sensory and consumer methods into research plans, integrate data and draw conclusions that could generate motivating concepts in line with brand strategy.
- Experience presenting to small/medium groups (<20) and senior management.
- A genuine and demonstrated interest in early product innovation/development within consumer packaged goods industries.
- An excellent team player, willingness to become part of a very close knit team and work in collaborative fashion with team members.
- Must be self-motivated, a natural leader and ambitious.
Degree level in a technical, design or psychological discipline and/or industry qualification in market research / consumer science disciplines.