POSITION: Principal Scientist reports to Senior Engineering Mgr., R&D
The ideal candidate will be an experienced scientist in the medical device, electronic measurement equipment or electrosurgical system industry with a focus on research and product development. He/She will be an strategic, enthusiastic, team oriented leader committed to the company mission and have the ability to balance the demands of his/her time. An independent, flexible, adaptable, team player, who is a very good problem solver, has the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and work in a fast paced environment and deliver on commitments will do well in this role. The ability to communicate verbally and in writing to all levels of the organization is critical. A passion for medical devises and helping people is required. Experience with Matlab and Labview preferred. Advanced degree (PhD) and 5 years of experience strongly preferred. Bachelor’s Degree required in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability. Aligns work with strategic goals. Able to make customer focused decisions well suited for the structure of the Company.
Leadership - Effectively influences actions and opinions of others. Takes charge easily. Demonstrates and maintains management and technical discipline.
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Initiative - Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Asks for and offers help when needed; Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities.
Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations. Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Teamwork - Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Requirements and Responsibilities
This position has the responsibility and authority for the initiation, design, development, execution, and implementation of scientific research projects. This position combines comprehensive knowledge of electronic design and an understanding of how to solve clinical problems that surgeons experience through prototyping and designing capital based medical devices.
- Independently conduct research projects in electrosurgery with the ultimate goal of contributing to the development of a new product or improving an existing one. These research projects are typically related to the characterization of electrical, thermal, and mechanical properties, and will include collecting, organizing, and summarizing data for both verbal and written reporting of research data. Research requirements may also include other physical characteristics of products where methods, instrumentation or computerized data acquisition setup that is typical of a researcher’s knowledge base is required.
- Support product development teams by providing technical expertise during problem solving and brainstorming exercises
- With an understanding of complex product designs and component interactions, specify devices, materials selections, and design features to effectively implement new concepts and technologies
- Plan laboratory experiments to confirm feasibilities, or perform failure analysis, for new or existing devices and systems
- Devise mechanical, electrical, thermal, or other testing methods to evaluate the effects of various conditions on devices and/or generators
- Identify research and develop new devices for diversified Advanced Energy applications
Use statistical analysis and DOE (Design of Experiments) to complement data acquisition and reporting
Clearly explain technical information to customers, key suppliers, fellow researchers, and upper management
All activities must be performed in compliance with the Quality System
Performs duties in compliance with environmental, health and safety related site rules, policies or governmental regulations
- Advanced degree (PhD) and 5 years of experience strongly preferred
- Educational focus in electrosurgery and electrosurgical systems, or related field
- Extensive hands-on research and/or product development experience with complex devices and systems, and their electrical, thermal and mechanical characterization
- Excellent research and reasoning skills that encompass originality (to develop creative ways to solve a problem), deductive reasoning skills (to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense), and fluency of ideas (to express multiple solutions)
- Competence with typical electronic measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, function generators, etc.
- Familiar with basic electrosurgical system design, relevant safety standards, and algorithms and techniques used to regulate RF output
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so that others will understand
- Understanding of plasma physics (preferably as applied to electrosurgical devices and generators)
- Medical device industry experience
- Experience with Matlab and Labview
- Must be capable of working without appreciable direction and will have considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment(s)
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance to others in the group
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects and manage priorities accordingly
- Bachelor's Degree required in either Electrical or Computer Engineering
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years' experience in applied research or advanced development with Bachelor's degree
5+ years' experience in applied research or advanced development with Master’s degree
- 3+ years' experience in applied research or advanced development with Doctorate degree
- Extremely competitive base salary plus bonus.