Assay Biologists - Cambridge, UK
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary fragment-based drug discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Astex continues to grow and now focuses on oncology and neurological disorders.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY ...UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
The assay biology group at Astex plays a key role in the drug discovery process, developing in vitro assays to evaluate inhibitors of both enzyme and protein: protein interaction drug targets. Excellent opportunities are now available to contribute to this effort and gain experience of the drug discovery process from hit identification to lead optimisation. The successful candidates will have expertise in assay development and an in-depth understanding of the use of different assay formats to screen small molecules. They will be highly motivated, with the capacity to think creatively and a demonstrated ability to interact with and influence multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Develop screening assays for drug targets using appropriate assay formats, to support the drug discovery process from hit identification to lead optimisation
- Biochemically characterise compounds to develop an in-depth understanding of their mechanism of inhibition
- Explore and implement novel assay technologies for use within the group
- Contribute scientific expertise in enzymology to project teams
- Interact with other key members of multidisciplinary teams including chemistry, biophysics and protein production groups
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in enzymology/protein biochemistry or equivalent experience
- Proven postdoctoral experience gained in an academic or industrial setting
- Demonstrable proficiency in assay development using techniques such as FP, TRF and Alphascreen
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams; knowledge of the drug discovery process would be an advantage
- Excellent team-working, verbal and written communication skills
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter, quoting the job reference or the area of interest in the subject line by clicking on the 'Apply' button.
Closing Date: Friday 21 st October
We are recruiting for a number of roles some are permanent and some are for 2 year fixed term contracts depending on qualifications and experience