Principal Scientist, Exploratory Toxicology
3 days left
- Full Time
Celgeneis a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation tohelp patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is todiscover and develop therapies that will change the course of humanhealth. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spiritof independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business,advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The PrincipalScientist in Exploratory Toxicology serves as an integral member of thetoxicology team that supports the early stage discovery and development ofpharmaceuticals, including the identification, mechanistic investigation, andmanagement of safety risk from initial Target Identification to Development Candidatenomination stages. In general, scientist will provide appropriate scientificperspective to identify safety issues of a potential drug candidate early inthe drug development process. This scientist will manage and supervisescientific, administrative, and technical activities related to In VitroToxicology. Additionally, thisindividual will provide expertise in genotoxicity screening assays and helpsupport mechanistic studies of later stage development compounds.
The PrincipalScientist is also responsible for assisting the San Diego NonclinicalDevelopment management team in establishing and achieving long-term strategicgoals and tactical objectives.
Responsibilities willalso include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Design and conduct in vitro and molecular toxicology experiments focused onidentification of mechanistic basis of toxicity including the followingcapacities.
a. Characterization of gene expression changesusing PCR and/or available gene chip technology.
b. Proteomics using Western blot andimmuno-based imaging techniques
c. Tissue culture systems such as conventionalcell culture, co-culture models, organ culture systems, and utilization of stemcells
d. Evaluation of data using appropriatesoftware, and interpretation/integrationof results from multiple molecular endpoints to generate reports with a focuson toxicological relevance
e. Work collaboratively to integrate data frommolecular endpoints with traditional toxicity endpoints
2. Serve as Discovery Project Team toxicologyrepresentative and manage safety risk identification program for thatproject(s).
3. Contribute to identification of early targetsafety risk based on projected mechanism of pharmaceutical action, literatureknowledge on pathways and/or toxicological profile of competitor drugs (conducttarget safety assessments for novel drug targets).
4. Maintain invitro and molecular toxicology expertise through organizationalassociations, literature review, continuing education, and publications.
5. Establish and maintain working relationshipwith key opinion leaders in the toxicology community, academicians, and keyCelgene staff
6. Support Exploratory Toxicology by
a. Evaluating and implementing novel in vitro toxicology models and assays
b. Conducting and managing in vitro toxicology screening assays, including genotoxicitytesting
c. Supervise and mentor scientific staff
d. Publishing findings
e. Addressing potential development issues andconducting risk mitigation activities
f. Address scientific issues using knowledge ofmolecular t oxicology
RequiresPhD degree in toxicology or related fields and 8 years of drug developmentexperience within the pharmaceutical industry, with a focus on cellular andmolecular toxicology. Requires a thorough understanding of early stage drugdiscovery and development process. American Board of Toxicology certification desired, but not required. Expertise in automation also desired.
- Advanced knowledge of general, cellular, and molecular toxicology principles.
- Experience conducting mechanistic investigative studies involving signal transduction pathways, proteomics, and genomics.
- Demonstrable knowledge and skills in toxicology drug development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and computer proficiency are required.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues in other Departments and Project Teams.
Celgene iscommitted to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment forall employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex,sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,disability or veteran status.
Celgene complieswith all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscriminationin employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements ofthe Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization towork for Celgene in the U.S.