Scientist II, Computational Chemistry
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Summary/Scope: In partnership with Medicinal Chemistry team members, this role focuses on application of structure and ligand-based in silico methods to design molecules with superior pharmacological properties. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In close collaboration medicinal chemists and project teams, apply a wide variety of drug-design and computational chemistry methods to improve potency, selectivity, and ADME properties while minimizing toxicological risk.
- Enhance our understanding of SAR and influence team strategy by assimilating and interpreting data using modeling and data-mining technologies.
- Apply and develop new approaches for designing bioactive-relevant features using machine-learning, scoring functions, and multiple endpoint optimization methods.
- Maintain and develop working knowledge of contemporary computational chemistry methods and their use in ligand design and data analysis as applied to drug design projects.
Skills/Knowledge Required :
- Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry or a related field with strong theoretical background as demonstrated by contributions to leading journals with 4+ years of relevant work experience.
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques, multiple parameter optimization methods, quantum chemistry, docking methods, molecular dynamics, and homology modeling approaches is preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in the application of computer-assisted drug design using standard modeling and computational software packages
- Ability to independently analyze literature and project data, formulate creative design hypotheses and design novel ligands in the context of project need
- Ability to serve as a lead computational chemist on multiple drug discovery projects
- Ability to utilize computational tools for idea generation, evaluation, and prioritization
- A working knowledge of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery
- Proven ability to collaborate with others and work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Applicants are desired to have programming experience in at least one scripting language (e.g., Perl, Python) or programming language (Java, C, C++)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are required
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.