Principal Investigator, Protein Homeostasis Informatics
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.We seek a talented, collaborative inter-disciplinary scientist to lead work on the computational analysis of high-dimensional tissue, cell and molecular profiling data. This individual will play a key scientific role leveraging innovative computational analysis strategies to empower data-driven decisions for therapeutic development programs in Celgene’s Research and Development organization. The role focuses on agents targeting the ubiquitin proteosome pathway as part of the Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center of Excellence (TCoE). Linking strongly to both TCoE leadership and our Research Analytics group, the successful candidate will specialize in application of leading-edge computational research approaches for the elucidation of complex therapeutic mechanisms across Celgene's protein homeostasis programs. The position would suit an individual with strong scientific leadership potential and excellent communication and collaboration skills. Applications are encouraged from those looking to bridge the gap between academic and industrial research environments to impact delivery of truly innovative and life-changing therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need. The wider remit of this role will also involve collaboration with colleagues in both Research Analytics and Protein Homeostasis groups across the following key research areas:
- Computational mapping between chemical and protein structure, biochemical effects mediated via perturbation of the ubiquitin proteosome system, and meaningful therapeutic outcomes in key indications.
- Analysis of preclinical experiments involving complex cell culture models to provide deep insight into the actions of both existing and novel therapies. Profiling data derived from a range of transcriptomic, proteomic, genomic, and wider cell-molecular assay platforms.
- Early prediction of patient phenotypes associated with response to therapy, using patient profiling data from Celgene early phase clinical trials and additional data sources drawn from collaborations and the public domain.
- Provide collaborative leadership to develop target prioritization, patient-centric indication prioritization, patient selection, and rational combo-therapy prediction strategies in support of Protein Homeostasis therapeutic programs.
- Enable groundbreaking next-generation Protein Homeostasis therapeutic approaches with integrated informatics capabilities alongside Research Analytics colleagues.
- Pursue and supervise leading computational biology research towards key Celgene scientific objectives, including line management of research staff.
- Participate as a core team member in the Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center of Excellence (TCoE) leadership team.
- Coordinate application of novel computational analysis and biological interpretation approaches to leverage internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions across therapeutic programs.
- Collaborate to investigate compound and disease properties and influence decisions from target prioritization through to translational development.
- Integrate data across assay platforms and between pre-clinical experiments and clinical trials.
- Oversee scientific report writing. Present methods, results and conclusions to a publishable standard.
- Drive strategic informatics collaborations with academic and commercial thought leaders to benefit therapeutic programs.
- Ph.D. in computational biology, proteomics, bioinformatics, or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment.
- 16+ years post-graduate experience of inter-disciplinary computational and molecular/chemical biology research in university, hospital or biotechnology environments.
- Strong knowledge of post-translational modification, wider proteasomal and immune mechanisms preferable.
- Good knowledge of cheminformatics and/or structural biology approaches desirable. Familiarity with proteome-wide mass-spectrometry studies prerequisite, alongside ability to design and apply methods to mine public structural and genetic databases.
- Experience supervising pharmaceutical informatics research with track record of enabling data-driven decisions for patient benefit and peer-reviewed p ublication in relevant scientific journals.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. R/Bioconductor, Matlab, Python, and contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S. *LI-JW1 *LI-PRIORITY