Director, Translational Medicine (M.D.)
Celgene is a globalbiopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to helppatients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover anddevelop therapies that will change the course of human health. We valueour passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and loveof challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we lookfor talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute toour unique culture.
Responsibilitiesinclude, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as part of the TDLeadership team responsible for defining and positioning the early oncologyportfolio in collaboration with VP, Translational Development and colleagues inresearch, clinical development, and marketing
- Medical lead for clinicaltrials in hematology and oncology from Candidate Nomination (pre-IND) throughProof-of-Concept including:
- Articulating the clinicaldevelopment strategy
- Design, implementation andanalysis of early stage clinical trials
- Clinical leadership oncross-functional Early Development project teams
- Close liaison withTranslational Development Scientists, Discovery and Development Teams fordefining Clinical PD or Biomarker assays.
- Responsible for clinicaldrug safety monitoring and management, in conjunction with the drug safetyphysician
- Ad Hoc member of theCandidate Development Committee that evaluates all IND candidates and EarlyDevelopment programs.
- Key resource for diseasearea expertise for the TD team.
- Liaise with clinical andlaboratory-based academic investigators in Early Oncology and be a focal pointfor defining and establishing relationships with key Global Phase 1 Centers.
- Part of the teamresponsible for establishing key alliances with academic centers, co-operativegroups, vendors and government agencies for cost effective implementation ofCelgene’s R & D and early development strategy
- Participate in formulatingdisease area strategy for target selection and validation
- Provide support toBusiness Development and the established teams, for potential in-licensing opportunitiesthat may include potential therapeutics, emerging technologies, processes or capabilitiesthat will enhance our Drug Discovery and Early Development efforts.
MD or MD/PhD in relevantfield (Hematology, Oncology). Extensive academic/industry experience including6 or more years relevant experience in clinical/translational research with aminimum of 4 years of industry experience and 4 years working on TranslationalDevelopment activities (e.g., IND submittals, Proof-of-Concept studies,first-in-patient studies, adaptive design studies, biomarker development,companion diagnostics, mechanism of action studies). Close interaction with oroversight of translational development scientists on discovery research andtranslational development projects in oncology.
- MD or M.D./PhD, 6 yearsrelevant experience with a minimum of 4 years industry experience (preferred)and 4 years experience in Early/Translational Development. Subspecialty boardcertification in hematology/oncology preferred.
- Proven record ofbuilding, leading and integrating cross-functional groups
- Track record in leadinginnovative efforts to deploy technologies and assays for enhanced translationalcapabilities
- Superior leadership,management and organizational skills, and a reputation as an open, availableand transparent communicator
- Management experience(through direct reports or matrix organization) coupled with stronginterpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Strong leadership inrepresenting Translational Developments positions to Senior Management andExecutive Committees and International Forums.
- Ability to interacteffectively across boundaries using influencing and relationship buildingskills.
- Ability to function atthe interface of both the Discovery and Development teams, with the aim ofproviding the successful implementation of stratification strategies, clinicalbiomarker and pharmacodynamic assays in the early clinical studies
- Competence in analysisand solving of problems, and the ability to prioritize and make tradeoffs toachieve goals.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally is required
Celgene is committed toequal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employeesand job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexualorientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies withall applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination inemployment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of theImmigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to workfor Celgene in the U.S.