Formulation Scientist / Senior Scientist
Formulation Scientist / Senior Scientist - Early Product Development
Location: Macclesfield, prior to relocating to Cambridge, UK
AstraZeneca is a global, science-driven biopharmaceutical company. We are dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients. At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're inspired by the things that seem impossible. Here, we see the impact of our collective ideas and expertise, and the power of science to deliver them.
Pharmaceutical Sciences is a newly created department within our Innovative Medicines and Early Development (IMED) Biotech unit. The vision for Pharmaceutical Sciences is to deliver the therapies of the future through scientific leadership in drug delivery, design of synthetic routes and manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API). Our portfolio of projects include traditional small molecules to nucleotide based therapies and nanomedicines across AstraZeneca's therapy areas.
We're looking for enthusiastic, motivated and highly capable Scientists/Senior Scientists with expertise in preformulation and formulation science to join the Early Product Development (EPD) team within Pharmaceutical Sciences. Initially you will be based at our Macclesfield Campus in Cheshire, prior to relocating to our brand new, state-of-the-art R&D centre in Cambridge.
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do - join us!
In these roles you will work alongside Analytical Scientists, Biologists, Medicinal Chemists and DMPK Scientists at the interface of drug discovery and preclinical development, primarily supporting projects in the oncology therapy area. Through a focus on the patient experience, an understanding of the disease state and the commercial setting, you will influence the design of drug candidates that have the potential to become successful products.
Some of the responsibilities include:
- Design and develop fit-for-purpose preclinical formulations (conventional and enabling) for pre-clinical PK/PD, efficacy and toxicological studies to enable selection and progression of suitable drug candidates
- Apply in silico tools to understand how physicochemical properties of the drug, dosage form and route of administration affect the rate and extent of absorption
- Plan and conduct lab-based experimental work in accordance with project timelines
- Keep abreast with the scientific literature; proactively apply drug delivery technologies to projects as appropriate
- Build an understanding of the formulation challenges a compound may present in clinical development.
- Degree (preferably Masters or PhD) in Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or a related subject
- Experience of developing oral and parenteral formulations in a drug discovery / preclinical environment
- Understanding of physicochemical and solid state properties and their relationship to formulation development, product design and performance
- Experience of physical characterisation techniques
- Basic understanding of biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics
Skills and Capabilities:
- Proven track record of problem solving and demonstrated excellent practical laboratory skills
- Ability to handle several projects at the same time, using initiative and imagination to meet agreed objectives and timelines
- Good team working and networking skills and an ability to engage relevant AstraZeneca staff in new initiatives
- Ability to coach peers for enhanced individual and team performance and development
- A good communicator with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline
- Able to demonstrate the drive and energy to establish the role and make a difference
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal credibility
- Focus on delivery under pressure
- Work collaboratively across boundaries
Applications Open: October 10th 2016
Applications Close: November 13th 2016
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.