Postdoctoral Research Associate, Sustaining Innovation (Ref SI-NB003) - Cambridge, UK
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Sustaining Innovation (Ref SI-NB003)
Project Title: Neurobiology: Development and understanding of human derived iPSC microglial systems for the assessment of Neuroinflammation mechanisms in neurodegenerative disease
Job Type: 3 Year Fixed Term Contract, Full Time
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development and the company is a recognised world expert in structural biology and crystallography.
Astex’s sustaining innovation Postdoctoral research program aims to maintain and further enhance the Company’s excellent scientific culture by fostering basic research in areas of interest to the drug discovery field, whilst working with scientists in both the biotech sector and with academic experts in the areas of research interest.
A Post-doctoral research fellowship now exists within the newly established neuroscience research function of Astex. This will be to work with the CNS biologist at Astex to establish human iPSC cell technologies to develop microglial and microglial neuron cell systems. These will then be biochemically characterised with respect to activation, cytokine production and phagocytosis and the fundamental cellular processes involved in microglial cell function. Genetic (using patient systems, and / or knockdown approaches) and pharmacology manipulation will be used to better understand and isolate key modulatory and disease pathways.
Skills and Experience Required
- A PhD in a biological science with proven postdoctoral experience with a strong publication record
- Disease understanding expertise in neurodegenerative diseases
- Strong hands on technical expertise in the establishment, maintenance and differentiation of iPSC cell systems is essential together with other in vitro cell culture techniques including primary neuronal/ glial / microglial cell systems.
- Demonstrable proficiency in a range of cell and molecular biology techniques including siRNA and potentially CRISPR technologies and experience of applying these techniques to understanding fundamental biochemical pathways
- The ability to contribute within highly multidisciplinary teams and work in a highly collaborative manner.
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter by clicking on the 'Apply' button, quoting the job reference SI-NB003
Closing Date: 13th November 2016
We are recruiting for a number of roles some are permanent and some are for 2-3 year fixed term contracts depending on qualifications and experience
Apply for Postdoctoral Research Associate, Sustaining Innovation (Ref SI-NB003) - Cambridge, UK
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly